Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a rellie killed in a Scottish mining accident post 1914?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a rellie killed in a Scottish mining accident post 1914?

Evening all, I have been given a "little" project at the museum and could do with some input as I think it will be pretty nigh on impossible to come up with what is wanted.

I'm trying to assemble a database with names, dates and locations of all the post 1914 fatal accidents in the Scottish mines, there are reports but post 1914 doesn't have names or specific locations, only the statistics are given.

Fatal Accident Investigations have the names and locations but are stored at numerous sites throughout Scotland and not always easy to access. Trying to tie up the two sets of records could be difficult. It's a big task, for example there are 1050 fatalities and close to 1000 reported accidents in the period 1915-1920 alone.

If anyone has a rellie who was killed in a colliery accident I would appreciate the details plus the source(s) if possible, details by pm if you prefer by the way.

eg John Smith,
    Monktonhall Colliery,
    August 1927,
    killed in an explosion,
    Source; death cert, FAI, Glasgow Herald Newspaper 01/09/1927

It's more the how and where that bothers me but a couple of real life examples as case studies would be useful, the chaps in the research room seem to think the task may be a little easier than I do at present.

I can then put together a presentation into the viability, method and sources so those who make the decisions can say yey or ney.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 24-02-11, 17:50.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

The Black Sheep Index has a mining accidents database, which might be a good starting point (they charge for cuttings, but just having the locations would probably be enough to start with):

Not sure which dates they cover, though.

I've just looked at a random page; there are some Scottish locatoins included, but the latest date I saw was 1918.

Yoiu might also try the Times Digital Archive; I imagine any major incident would be reported there.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 24-02-11, 18:39.

Comment

I suppose you've seen this site?

History of Scottish Mining and mining areas of Scotland including housing, health, mining accidents and disasters.

Comment

Yes Mary

It's not creating the database with help here I am after so much, it's more the "how and where" of the process, it's part geneaology and part social history and i'm attempting to illustrate the cost/time involved for the return.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen, a bit of a sideways look, but are you interested in the Scottish shale oil mining industry? Mind you it was shrinking rapidly by the 1920s and was mostly opencast or adits rather than deep mining.

It might be worth contacting the people who have been documenting mining in North-east England (and indeed any of the other coal-mining areas of the UK) to see what they have done and how difficult it was.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Glen unfortunately I have a number of pit deaths in my tree many of which were before 1914. However two were post 1914 - they were

James Harrower age 16
            Devon Colliery Sauchie
            Date 16th April 1926
            Cause of death - struck by large stone which fell from the roof of the colliery
            Source - extract of death, register of corrected entry and Alloa Journal from 1926

Thomas Harrower age 47
            Meta Colliery Sauchie
            Date 26th November 1937
            Cause of death - pinned to the ground by the falling of a large stone
            Source - extract of death, register of directed entry and entry from Alloa Journal 27th November 1937

Hope this helps

Steven

Comment

Many thanks Steven, I was curious about corrections to death entries as these would generally indicate that a Fatal Accident Inquiry had taken place.

I know some indexing of years has taken place and is posted online but it seems from the enquiries I have made so far that everyone goes about things a different way. I have come up with a couple of ideas to put forward and next week i'm hoping to try and pull some statistics together to gain an idea of the number of accidents and fatalities. At the moment I only know it's thousands but 0-10,000 or 10,000-20,000 etc will be useful to know.
              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 26-02-11, 11:16.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen yes every time I find a mine death there seems to be a Register of Corrected Entry and confirmation that an enquiry was held by the Procurator Fiscal

If you need anything else let me know

Steven

Comment

This one is specific to Scotland really UJ, the Fatal Accident Enquiry is similiar to having an inquest in England but the reasons and recording of details are different. The cataloguing of them is also a bit haphazard, mining isn't gauranteed to be mentioned in the description in every case. Some accidents in Scotland also end up as part of a coroner's enquiry too, if for example it took place on a rail line operated by an English company.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                    Hi Glen yes every time I find a mine death there seems to be a Register of Corrected Entry and confirmation that an enquiry was held by the Procurator Fiscal

If you need anything else let me know

Steven
                    Thanks Steven

That's a frightening prospect going by how many fatalities I found for 1915-1920, the RCE must be huge.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                    X