Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Record Offices

Hello!
    I have managed to do, almost, all my research "on-line". However, I am trying to trace an ancestor of my wife, or, at least his birth record. I have the year (I think) but, as the surname is Rigby, there are numerous records which seem to match. After spending fees for quite a few false leads I was wondering whether a visit to the County Record Office would allow me to view before purchase. Can anyone please advise? Thanks!

Depends what year your are referring to. Pre 1837 it will be parish records and maybe possible to view in a records office but post 1837 you cannot look before you buy.
    If you have a check point you could quote on an application for a certificate it doesn't cost anything for them to look because GRO don't charge if it's not right.
    Bit of a slow process though.
    Margaret

Comment

if you have his marriage cert this will give his fathers name, which should narrow your search down
      My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

If you posted up some details we might be able to help you narrow it down.
        Margaret

Comment

In Scotland you pay a fee for a days searching, therefore you can look before you buy the certificates.

Comment

Bearger, Unfortunately, in this search I'm not tracing my own "Tree" but that of my wife's who's family goes back to, at least, 500 years in Lancashire, not Lanarkshire!
            Margaret, thank you for your suggestion.
            The person I'm searching for is:John Rigby. In the 1881 Census he is shown to be married to Betty Jane (nee?) with a son Philip. Betty ( I believe) died in 1885. John's father was also Philip. According to "Family Search. org" John was born in 1856. I assume that this was deduced by counting back from his age given in the Census Return. Again, according to Census information, he was born in the Hindley area of Bolton. However, despite buying several Birth Certificates of John Rigby's in this area at this time, I have drawn a blank and was seeking a less expensive way to gain my information other than by buying even more certificates!

Comment

I would start by getting his marriage certificate to Betty Jane. That will give you his fathers name & you should be able to trace him back through the census which will give you a better idea of district to look & also siblings!

Oh I just noticed you say Johns father was Philip, how do you know this?
              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

If you're looking for Lancashire records, it would be worth checking out not only the Lancs OPC, but the new FamilySearch site which has a lot of images available for Lancashire records, I think.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think the most likely marriage would be Oct-Dec 1878 - John Rigby to Betty Jane Gore - Wigan 8c 27

The most likely birth for Betty Jane Gore would be Jan-March 1857 - Wigan 8c 73

Does this fit wither age in 1881?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It seems that marriage took place at All Saints,HindleyWigan & Leigh

Comment

In 1881 John says that he was born in Westhoughton. This comes under Bolton, so you are probably looking for births registered in Bolton.

Comment

This looks like the 1 year olds birth - Philip Thomas Rigby - Jan-March 1880 - Wigan 8c 88

For reference 1881 -

Little Philip THomas Rigby seems to have died in Oct-Dec 1889 - Wigan 8c 64
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-02-11, 08:49.

Comment

Why do you think Betty Jane Rigby died in 1885 Weescottie? The most likely death seems to be this one in Oct-Dec 1952 aged 85 - Ince ref 8c 76.

Comment

This is odd - this looks like them in 1891 but a jump for John from Miner to Farmer is quite a leap?

Little Philip Thomas Rigby seems to have died aged 9 in Oct-Dec 1889 - Wigan 8c 64

and 1901 ?

If this is the right family, doing a free search on 1911 Betty Jane (54) and John (56) are both still alive and with them are -
                            Betty Jane (Jnr) 20 - George 25 - Florrie (17) - Lord Roberts (11) - Philip Thomas (13) and William (27)
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-02-11, 09:09.

Comment

Coverage of Westhoughton births on LancashireBMD has only reached 1837-1865. I note that other Bolton records tend to have been updated to include MMN. Once they get as far as your dates, you'll be able to pick up more names, potentially.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks folks! Chrissie, thanks for taking the time to look,and, yes, you are right. He did marry Betty Gore. The frustration is in having so much peripheral information but being unable to actual nail the birth!!

Comment

Chrissie, I have just noticed several more of your helpful messages. Thanks very much. As it's pouring with rain today, it's the ideal opportunity to explore your bits of information. Again, thanks for your kindness.

Comment

Hi weescottie
                                    Have you seen Vivienne's message above? I agree that the marriage certificate is the way to go and also, how do you know that his father was also Philip?
                                    The marriage cert will confirm his fathers name. I tried looking for him with a father Philip without success.

Comment

Chrissie, We have the marriage certificate and, of course, this records his father's name as Philip. We have Betty's death certificate which occurred 23/12/1942.
                                      So, now to settle down to more work!

Comment

I will have another look. I seem to remember there was a Philip in Westhoughton in the earlier census but he was just with his wife and old enough to be John's grandfather.
                                        You said that yoiu had sent for several birth certs for John which were the wrong ones. Did you send for the 2 or 3 most likely ones born in Bolton? He seems quite adamant on the various census that he was born in Westhoughton.

Comment

Working...
                                        X