Year, age, same person please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year, age, same person please?

Could I have opinions on these two photographs please? Both written on the back by my mother.

On the back of the couple it says Aunt Florrie with Uncle John in the orchard behind their house, next to our orchard, in Kenrick Road Mapperley (this is in Nottingham).
    On the one with lady on her own it says - Aunt Florrie, my fathers sister in law.

Two questions please. Could the lady be the same person in both photographs and even more importantly - could the man have been born in 1870? After much research I can't think of anyone else the man could be other than my grandfathers brother John.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I would say the same person judging from the way she holds her head and if you look closely the hairstyle seems to be the same under the hat

Comment

Thank you Omskirk I thought so too, the only reservation I had was the jawline, but that could just be the way the first photograph was taken.

I wish I knew approximately what year it was and how old they were. I really want it to be the man who was born 1870 or I'm totally stuck.

Comment

Yes, I think the lady is the same person in both photos. I think it perfectly possible that the man could have been born in 1870. I would put the date of his photo at the very early 1900s so he would be in his 30s, which is what he looks.

Anne

Comment

Thank you very much Anne, that's really helpful It looks as though he may be my great uncle after all then

It does say on the back, written by my mother - next door to our orchard. I was concerned because she wasn't born until 1915. But if course she doesn't say that the photograph was after she was born. They probably had the house and orchard for many years.

Comment

Chrissie - the lady in the uniform - have you posted this before about what uniform she was wearing? If so, did you find out?
            Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie - yes, I did post it a long time ago. I think there were a few suggestions but I don't think anyone was sure what uniform it was.

Comment

I thought I remembered it. I remember at the time looking at the lapel badges but I couldn't find any images to compare. I think she is a postwoman around the first world war. I've managed to find a couple of other photos now.

If you scroll down on this page to about half way there's a photo of a lady called Ida which you can click on for a better view

Also here which you can click on for an enlarged image

I was looking particulary at the hat and the lapel badges. What do you think?
                Jackie

Comment

Oh wow yes Jackie, I'm sure you're right. Thank you very much.
                  So would you say the photo of her, which is most likely during the war, is before or after the one in the orchard? I wonder how old she is on the postwoman one? I may get this problem solved after all, thanks to your help

Comment

I'm really not very good with costume dating but my first thought was that she's showing her ankles in the first one. I think its post 1900 but I'm really not sure. I was wondering whether the gramophone thing might be a clue. Is it possible to crop the photo so that it zooms in more on the couple? Someone with more knowledge might have some better ideas
                    Jackie

Comment

Re the second photo, I've found this site

I think the dates 1916 - 1929 are relevant about the women's hats and also 1922 about the buttons and badges. If you enlarge her uniform photo I'm pretty sure its a straw hat like the ones in those links I put up earlier, so I would say its between 1916 and 1922, but most probably WW1. Perhaps she was doing it as war work.
                      Jackie

Comment

Thank you again Jackie Yes, I think you're right, the hat does look like straw. I have cropped the images and also one of the window. I wondered if anyone might recognise when that type of window came in too.

Comment

Working...
                        X