X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Wood and Ann Chapman - Yorkshire --> Australia

Hi all,
    I am looking for any information on Richard Wood and Ann Chapman
    They were married 1832.....1842 ? in Yorkshire.
    Could be Driffield Yorkshire. believe they had several children there
    before they moved to Australia. in approx 1848. Possibly came to Melbourne.

Thank you

Do you know where or when Richard and Ann were born?
    Do you know the names of any of the children?
    Elaine

Comment

there is this, the only one that familysearch is throwing at me, first hit.

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I don't know where Richard and Ann were born , or their parents names.
        The children I think Mary possibly the second child then Francis and Catherine born before they moved to Australia.
        This has always been a blank for me.

Comment

Originally posted by geedee View Post
          Hi all,
          I am looking for any information on Richard Wood and Ann Chapman
          They were married 1832.....1842 ? in Yorkshire.
          Could be Driffield Yorkshire. believe they had several children there
          before they moved to Australia. in approx 1848. Possibly came to Melbourne.

Thank you
          I don't know where Richard and Ann were born , or their parents names.
          The children I think Mary possibly the second child then Francis and Catherine born before they moved to Australia.
          This has always been a blank for me.
          Hi geedee,

Could you tell us how you know names, possible dates and places please? (That might give us a pointer as to where we could look in order to try and help you.)

All I can find so far are a few submitted entries on IGI - these are for baptisms of some Wood children (parents Richard Wood & Ann) at Wetwang with Fimber. Wetwang is in East Yorkshire.

Great & Little Driffield are both places nearby to Wetwang, but the Hugh Wallis site doesn't bring up any appropriate baptisms for the children of a Richard Wood in that time sphere.
          Nor does a Hugh Wallis search for Wetwang bring up any appropriate results.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Marriage 1842
            CHAPMAN Anne
            WOOD Richard
            Wetwang, St Nicholas East Riding
            BRD245/01/31

There are lots of births for Woods but as cannot search with mmn cannot say if they are yours:
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hello Janet in Yorkshire, The names are written on a piece of paper in a box of family tree bits. I don't remember where it came from
              It was passed on to me about 25 yrs ago. The child Mary is my gg granmother.
              This line always went into the too hard basket. Have tried before, names too common.
              Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                Marriage 1842
                CHAPMAN Anne
                WOOD Richard
                Wetwang, St Nicholas East Riding
                BRD245/01/31

There are lots of births for Woods but as cannot search with mmn cannot say if they are yours:
                http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi
                Geedee,

you could order this marriage cert from the GRO it should then give you names for the father of the bride and groom and also if you are lucky family members as witness'.

Julie

Comment

Marriages Jun quarter 1842
                  WOOD Richard
                  CHAPMAN Ann
                  district Driffield
                  volume 23
                  page79
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks Darksecrets. I'll give that a try.
                    now i'm able to get to the computer helps too , how things have changed over the years !

Comment

Thanks Darksecrets. I'll give that a try.
                      now i'm able to get to the computer helps too , how things have changed over the years !
                      I quite agree, the internet & FH have certainly become one and the same, makes armchair research all the more accessible, which is especially good if you are unable to get to a Records office/Archives in person.
                      Julie

Comment

Possible birth registrations - all Driffield Reg Dist, which would include births at Wetwang

Mar 1843 WOOD Frances Ann Driffield 23 34

Jun 1844 WOOD Mary Driffield 23 39
                        Sep 1844 WOOD Mary Driffield 23 35 (perhaps this one is yours?)

Dec 1846 WOOD Female Driffield 23 35 (No Catherine in the index - perhaps this could be her??)

DEATH
                        Dec 1847 WOOD Frances Driffield 23 39 (No age given in the idex, so no way of knowing if it was the 1843 baby or not.)

I think all the old East Yorkshire registers have been centralised at Beverley. I rang and ordered a cert over the phone. They were very helpful, took a card payment and the cert arrived within 2 days.

If applying to the local office, you don't need to quote ref numbers, and also you could give them the dates for the 2 Marys and ask for the one which was the daughter of Richard Wood and Ann Chapman

East Riding of Yorkshire Registration and Celebratory Services
                        The Register Office
                        Walkergate House
                        Walkergate
                        Beverley
                        East Riding of Yorkshire
                        HU17 9BP
                        Tel: 01482 393600

Email: registration.service@eastriding.gov.uk

For online ordering

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Geedee, have taken the liberty of amending the title of your thread to include the word "Australia"
                          We have quite a few members who are very familiar with Australian research and they might know of other resources you could check out.
                          Elaine

Comment

What do you know about Mary? Do you have her Australian death cert? If so, it should give you her age and birthplace and say how long she'd lived in Aus. Which State did she live in? Victoria? and who did she marry?

Comment

They were in Brunswick, Victoria by 1851, when Mary's sister Harriet was born. Harriet married James Castles in Victoria in 1870, had at least 5 children with unusual names, and died there in 1888.

Harriet's children (very badly transcribed by Ancestry):

Name / Registration or Birth Year / Parents' Names / Registration or Birth Location

Evakriah Theop Erasmuus Ths Castles / 1871 / James, Harriet Ooo / Kyneton, Victoria
                              Urlah Halanthon Wickliff Castles / 1872 / James, Harriett / Kyneton, Victoria
                              Amos Coverdale Latimar James Castles / 1876 / James, Harriet / Echuca, Victoria
                              Uriah Helanthon Wickilffe G Castles / 1883 / James, Harriet / Echuca, Victoria
                              Paul Courcy Josh Castles / 1884 / James, Harriet / Echuca, Victoria

You can check out the BMDs here:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-02-11, 20:44.

Comment

Can't see them on any of the usual passenger list sites, but not all lists for that period have survived or are online.

Comment

Thanks Mary, Yes I do have Mary Wood death cert. It she lived in Victoria 78 years .so must have been 4 when
                                  she came . I really was looking to find out about where she came from.
                                  Thanks again. I have her Mother Anns death cert. but not her father he is lost at the
                                  moment.

Comment

Ida Clara Ruth Castles is another of Harriet and James children - they had 12 children all with extravagant names Ida married into our WORNER family, in the Mystic Park/Kerang area of Victoria, they have just had some bad floods.

I have not done any research on her. Her sons, Howard Knox Worner and Hill Wesley Worner are my 4th cousins and were quite famous scientists in Australia.

I know it does not help with the original query with Richard and Ann Wood, but I will look further.

Mary and Ann's death certificate should have a place of birth, although I have some that helpfully say "England" .

Di
                                    Last edited by dicole; 24-02-11, 12:20. Reason: more info
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia
                                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Mary Wood was born in England . on her cert I have just re read Ann Wood death cert says Born Redburn Lincoln England, and says
                                      she spent 6 weeks in South Australia and 19 years in Victoria. died 1868 so must have come to Australia ....South Australia 1849 that would
                                      be why no record in Victoria! silly me Thank you Di Its interesting.

Comment

How old was Ann when she died, and which year was it?

There's an Ann Chapman bap. 1814 in Redbourne, Lincs on the IGI.

Comment

Working...
                                        X