Ftm 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftm 2011

Am thinking of buying FTM 2011, but before I do, I have two questions, please:

1. I've noticed that in Ancestry, the trees don't show siblings and their marriages/children etc unless you click on them -which I think it a bit of a pain - whereas on Genes Reunited they do. Does FTM automatically show all siblings etc, or is there an option that you can switch on (or whatever) to display all relatives at the same time?

2. I use a PC and a netbook, but see that FTM is "single user". Does "single user" entitle me to load it onto both - assuming I could find a way of getting it onto the netbook (which doesn't have a disc drive) that is?

Thanks in advance.

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Ancestry provide video tutorials on FTM, so you can see how it works before you buy it

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Just a point, amazon are selling the 2011 platinum edition including 6 months premium ancestry sub for £29.99 free postage at the mo.

You would still be just a single user if you have it on both your computers.

Comment

Thanks both.

STG

Comment

Hi, I have been using Family tree builder from Myheritage. I think this is a fab free package and have made good use of the photorecogniton software. Hoiwever I am now wanting to use purchased software (FTM) as above and have used the ancestry site to look at the demos and couldnt find answers there. I have three things bothering me which distil to softwareissues.
          1. How can I carry over the photos attached to people in FTB to FTM? The FTB gedcom gives the option to save the photos but didnt when I tried to transfer from my old comuter to my new still using the same ftb software
          2. Ist there and face recognition software

3 When this computer packs up a few years, if I have had to put all my photos in again etc, how can I transfer the whole lot to a new computer, gedcoms seem to have huge limitations.
          Thanks

Comment

my friend has just purchased Family Tree Maker Platinum versions 2011 with 6months free subs, but is having problems registering -
            he installs the Cd, which takes him to US Ancestry site and asks for credit details...he doesnt appear to have been given a code or ref number to enter to validate his 6 months free

Has anyone used this version and if so, any advice as to how to activate it? thanks

Comment

Normally you have a little leaflet inside the box with instructions arroli? Is he clicking on the Help tab at the top of the screen on the FTM? When that drops down there is normally an option to "register program" which is what he should do to activate it.

Comment

Originally posted by arroli View Post
                my friend has just purchased Family Tree Maker Platinum versions 2011 with 6months free subs, but is having problems registering -
                he installs the Cd, which takes him to US Ancestry site and asks for credit details...he doesnt appear to have been given a code or ref number to enter to validate his 6 months free

Has anyone used this version and if so, any advice as to how to activate it? thanks
                Registering the program and activating the free Ancestry subscription should be two separate operations.
                To register the program click on HELP -> REGISTER FAMILY TREE MAKER
                If he already has an Ancestry login or a previous version of FTM which he registered, then it is advisable to use the same email address otherwise you end up with multiple accounts which can cause confusion.
                Once he has registered the program then you go on to activate the subscription.
                Click HELP -> ACTIVATE ANCESTRY SUBSCRIPTION

You should then see a page which says Log into your account - or Create a new account
                If he has previously had an Ancestry account then he would choose Log into your account - otherwise select Create a new account

There is no code or reference number which needs to be added - the coding for the subscription is presumably hidden somewhere within the software installation on your computer.

If you are creating a new account then at some point you will be asked for your credit card details. This is because when the free subscription ends Ancestry will automatically deduct the money from your account for the continuation of the subscription - unless you cancel before the expiry date. You will find that once you have added your credit card details and before you click on SUBMIT, the page will show a charge of £0.00

Hope that helps - if not let us know how far he gets and what problems he is having.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine..I will pass info onto him, hopefully he will get it activated ok

Comment

Also having this problem
                    I already have an Ancestry account and a tree on there.
                    But there is no way FTM 2011 will let me either register or activate the 6 months access- am using the correct login.
                    Have tried the drop down menu - disabling firewall, using IE as favourite browser - no go. The funny thing is, when I open the programme it picks up the recent member activity from the site which also shows up on my tree on the site. Spent about 5 hours on this today and am whacked. I don't understand why it wont let me in via the software
                    Any ideas before I chuck the disk in the bin?
                    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Originally posted by taffyfrog View Post
                      Also having this problem
                      I already have an Ancestry account and a tree on there.
                      But there is no way FTM 2011 will let me either register or activate the 6 months access- am using the correct login.
                      Have tried the drop down menu - disabling firewall, using IE as favourite browser - no go. The funny thing is, when I open the programme it picks up the recent member activity from the site which also shows up on my tree on the site. Spent about 5 hours on this today and am whacked. I don't understand why it wont let me in via the software
                      Any ideas before I chuck the disk in the bin?
                      If FTM is picking up your Ancestry activity it would seem that you have already registered the program. ??
                      Does the web search facility work?

What antivirus are you using - there is often a conflict between Norton and FTM/Ancestry and if you are using that you might need to disable it while you register/activate the free sub.

If you cannot sort it then I would recommend you contact Ancestry by phone. I have used the UK freephone number in the past and although it wasn't free it was not an expensive call - charged at normal international rates.
                      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

I thought it might have registered as it is picking up my tree but not my name (Says I'm a registered guest-which I dont understand - why is it not using my name on Ancestry) - I can do a search and get results but there is no way I can view other trees or documents - it just won't let me activate the free sub.

I also tried with my anti-virus disabled yesterday - will give them a call later in the week when I've got my patience with this back
                        Last edited by taffyfrog; 06-03-11, 08:51.
                        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

A registered guest is basically someone who has an account registered with Ancestry but who does not have an active subscription - so it seems as if the registration process of FTM has been successful and it is just the activation of the FTM free sub which is the problem.
                          Hopefully a phone call should sort it out!
                          Elaine

Comment

I had the same problem yesterday and a phone call to Ancestry .co.uk and they sorted it out very quickly.

Great Britain & Northern Ireland
                            0800-404-9723 (toll free)
                            Monday - Friday
                            9:00 am - 7:00 pm GMT
                            Saturday9:00 am - 5:00 pm GMTSundayClosed

Regards Alan

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Just popping in to answer my own Q2, which is yes, loading onto a second device is permitted.

From device No. 1, copy from the CD onto a USB stick. Put USB stick into device No. 2 and download it from there.

STG

Comment

Working...
                              X