Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Wi(t)cher help

Hello

Can somebody please help me clear up a situation with my Witcher/Hutfield family?

This is the story as I know it.
    Rebecca Lawrence married William Wicher on the 24th December 1826 in Wherwell Hampshire and had a daughter named Elizabeth Witcher in 1827 Wherwell.
    On the 1851 census Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1672; Folio: 146; Page: 11 there are more kids but she has now remarried to a George Hutfield. Rebecca and George married in the March Qtr of 1849 in Andover Hampshire.

Now what I'm trying to work out is who is the father of William Witcher Hutfield born c1849. I find it strange that Rebecca would add the ex-husbands surname into the first born of George's child. I also cannot find a birth for William. There is a possible birth for a William G Hutfield which would make more sense as the G could stand for George like his father.

William Witcher Hutfield married Sarah Kezia Weeks in 1867 in Southampton.

Some of this may sound familiar as I posted about this family some years ago about a different subject.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Just a bit of added info, William Witcher Hutfield consistently has Longstock Hampshire as his birthplace.

Danny

Comment

I would surmise:
      William Witcher Hutfield born c1849
      - that usually means 1848-49
      Rebecca and George married in the March Qtr of 1849 in Andover
      - possibly after the birth of William, in which case the registration would have to presume him to be the son of the first husband, however physically implausible. William would then take the name of his "step"-father, for convention's sake, possibly explaining the other bit of name as just "in memoriam".
      There's a registration, in Andover district, of a William WITCHER in 1848q4.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think it may be worth ordering the William Witcher birth cert and take a chance that it is him.

Thank you Christine.

Danny

Comment

I have just seen a baptism on the IGI for a William Witchor with mother Rebecca in 1849 in Wherwell. Looks like it could be my guy, no father mentioned.

Danny

Comment

I have just found 2 possible deaths for William Witcher (Rebecca's first husband) - William Witcher
            burial date: 24 Oct 1849
            burial place: Wonston, Hampshire, England

William Witcher
            burial date: 11 Feb 1845
            burial place: Wherwell, Hampshire, England

It would make more sense to me if it were the first death as it would tie in with the baptism I found of William Witcher whose mother was Rebecca but the place of the second marriage fits better with where the kids were all born.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
              I have just found 2 possible deaths for William Witcher (Rebecca's first husband) - William Witcher
              burial date: 24 Oct 1849
              burial place: Wonston, Hampshire, England

William Witcher
              burial date: 11 Feb 1845
              burial place: Wherwell, Hampshire, England

It would make more sense to me if it were the first death as it would tie in with the baptism I found of William Witcher whose mother was Rebecca but the place of the second marriage fits better with where the kids were all born.

Danny
              If Rebecca married Hutfield Q1 1849 then the death Oct 1849 cannot be her 1st husband

Comment

If William was born before the 2nd marriage he would have surname Witcher irrespective who father was, then he adopted name Hutfield at a later date with or without the knowledge that Hutfield was his father

Comment

Working...
                X