name on census records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• name on census records

I've got someone named John FO Asher on the census records.....I don't suppose FO would stand for anything other than two other first names, would it ?

Can you give the reference info? I've seen things in census images which looked like initials, but proved to be a misinterpretation of something else altogether: another name, or a variation of a name...

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If it's the 1851 HO107/1845 folio 84 page 21, then it does look like middle name initials - but the second one might be S. It isn't very round - but then neither is it much like other upper-case S examples on the same page.

There's a marriage of a John Francis Asgood ASHER in Devizes district in 1845q1, where one of the brides is Sarah (BROWN). The GRO index at that point is a typed one, so that middle name could also be OSGOOD, I imagine.
      The IGI has a marriage 3 Feb 1845 at St Mary's, Devizes, for John Francis Osgood ASHER and Sarah BROWN (but the batch number is I039198).

He's here in 1861: RG09/1317 folio 81 page 12, called John F Osgood ASHER.

And here in 1871: RG10/1956 folio 43 page 11, back to John F O ASHER.

In 1881, he seems to have jettisoned any mention of any names other than the Christian name and surname: RG11/2072 folio 87 page 14

He died in 1885q2, aged 69, recorded as John Francis O ASHER.

There are two separate baptism records in the IGI for John ASHER s/o James ASHER & Elizabeth, on 26 Jun 1814 at Potterne in Wilts (both C152421 ~ not sure I understand that!). That's quite close to Devizes - but not particularly so to Amesbury, which is where he gives his PoB in the censuses.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-02-11, 20:10. Reason: update for extra info
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks very much, Christine,......didn't mean to send you scuttling off to do any work....just something that struck me before I went to bed last night. It's all about trying to track down the Alfred Asher born Southampton c1800 someone had on their Ancestry family tree....when I emailed them, they didn't reply, but removed the tree !....so I don't know if their research was wrong or if they didn't want contact (wish they'd just let me know !) He may have been Jewish & not on church records. The only Alfred Asher in Southampton I can find is one who married there in 1890 & his father is the John FO Asher....so was trying to trace back to see if I could link him to an Alfred born c1800

Comment

Oh, I've found the death of an Alfred Asher in Southampton in 1858....so, unless he was a baby/young child, he must be on the 1851 census somewhere...unless he came from abroad

Comment

Looks as though he was only 11 when he died...parents Charles & Ann. Nothing specifically to tie him up with my lot. As you were !

Comment

Thanks very much, Christine,......didn't mean to send you scuttling off to do any work...
              I enjoy puzzles. That's why this hobby is so addictive, of course! Besides, this one was soluble.

Christine

Comment

Working...
              X