sarah powton b.1826 leake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarah powton b.1826 leake

can anyone help me find sarah powton, b.1826 leake in the census please? she was a servant in the northallerton area in 1841, and then married thomas fawcett in 1845, northallerton. after this i cannot find her. can anyone else?

Was she born at Leake, or baptised there?
    Leake church (still in use) stands in a field at the side of the busy A19 trunk road. As far as I know, there is no village of Leake (it's a lost village) and the church serves some of the neighbouring hamlets, which have no church of their own.
    So, it could well be that, in census, your Sarah gives a different place of birth.
    I would think Leake church is probably equal distances from both Northallerton and Thirsk. Not really in my territory, but I had an aunt who lived nearby, so I've attended the church for both a wedding and a funeral.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Where was she in 1841, and do you have any details about the marriage, like places of abode & names of fathers?

ETA - I've found her in Nether Silton in 1841. That's a hamlet in the Thirsk/Northallerton area, which would have been in Leake parish.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...rth+Yorkshire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Click once to the left, and then down, and you should be able to see Leake church as well as Nether Silton.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-02-11, 15:58.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I am confused, LOL!

FreeBMD has one Mar qtr 1845 marriage for Thomas Fawcett - to Sarah Powton (Northallerton Reg Dist)

IGI has no 1845 marriage for Sarah Powton. BUT shows Thomas Fawcitt marrying Sarah BURTON 22 Mar 1845 at Leake church. (Leake is in the Northallerton Reg Dist.)

Do you have the cert?

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-02-11, 16:48.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

hi janet, i don't have the cert, her sister jane is my ancestor, and i only discovered sarah recently, and decided to tackle her. im not surprised the igi has her as burton. powton is transcribed as: poughton, poulton, ponston, poton. i think i have found a burial. its a sarah fawcett in leake in 1848, thought its feb, and the only death cert that fits if for dec, so i dont think i can get a death. she is 22, b.1826. her parenst were buried in leake, is it likely do you think?

thanx for the pics of the church, i cant wait to see them!!

Comment

Lol - that link was to a map!
            Here's a link to Leake parish, info & pics of the church.

Had wondered if Sarah had died before 1851.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi Kylejustin
              Not sure where you got your burial info from but just looked at the NBI & a Sarah Fawcett age 22 was buried on 9th September 1848 at Leake. Still doesn't fit with a death registered in the Dec qtr.
              Moggie
              P S This is possibly the one above.
              Sarah Fawcett Year 1848 Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep Thirsk North Riding, North Yorkshire Volume 24 Page 329.

Comment

haha thanx janet, my mix up!
                maudarby, now how did you manage to find that death? i think it is her, tragic at 22 though, not a lot older than me.

Comment

Working...
                X