Some advice on a photo please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice on a photo please!

I don't want to post the photo publicly really as it's been emailed to me by the present owner of the pub in question.

My partners 2x great grandfather's cousin was the landlord of the pub in 1901 and 1911. The photo was alongside some text which hints at the photo being early 20th Century which would hint at it being around the time of the cousin.

I've also seen a picture in the costume gallery dating from 1904 where the woman is wearing similar attire.

If anyone has any experience with early 20th century photo's (and possible clothes a publican/farmer would wear) who wouldn't mind taking a look I'd appreciate your help no end! :D

Thanks
    Beth

This is the lady off the photo.. I really don't want to post the whole photo just in case she has nothing to do with us.

Could this be as late as the 50's? The young girl in the photo is also dressed in the same way. I am no expert but I'm inclined to say 1900-1915 ish? Or maybe I want it to be that early..

Beth
    Last edited by FamilyHistoryStories; 20-02-11, 21:35.

Comment

I can't see anyone dressing like that in the 1950s, no matter how old fashioned they were!

I would think the photo could date from the early 1900s if a young person was dressed similarly in the photo.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne,

I hope it is.. It would be a lovely bit of family history and pure chance! :D

Comment

Your estimate of being between 1900 -1915 would be correct. I would even suggest that the date line be narrowed down to the last quarter of your date period so that the image would be more likely to have been taken between 1910-1915. Although the blouse and seperate skirt combo was worn from the turn of the 1900's there are other factors to look out for when dating an image, for instance the style of hair that may be worn, in this case, from what I can see of it, the hair has been pulled/brushed back to be secured at the back of the head leaving the ears exposed, then you have the length of sleeving in relation to the gap betwix cuff and wrist and more importantantly is the length of the hemline. Before 1910 it generally just cleared the ground, after 1910 the hemline was just above the vamp and toe on shoes/boots and after 1912 it rose to just above the ankle. So like I have already said it is more likely to have been taken 1910-1915 when you taken everything in to consideration.

don

Comment

Working...
          X