Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancasters of Childwall, Lancashire

Dear all,

I've hit a bit of a dead end with one line of my family treeing. I'm descended from a Thomas Fleetwood who was born 1795 Childwall and was one of three brothers born to Robert Fleetwood (b. 1770 in Huyton) and a Margaret Lancaster.

Now, Robert and Margaret married in Childwall in August 1792, but I can find no other records at all relating to her. No birth record, nothing. I suppose there's a chance she's a widow, but still I can't find anything to prove this.

I would have thought the recorded history of the Lancaster family would be quite easy to trace, being the Landed Gentry that they were, but it seems not to be the case...unless anyone here has any ideas/insights...?

Stephen

Have you looked at any of these?

I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to be in the Guild of One Name Studies list yet.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that, Christine. Nothing strikes me as linking up with 'my' line yet, but I'll have a good look through that hefty gedcom and see if anything jumps out!

Comment

Hmm...nothing doing there, sadly. Only a handful of Margarets, and none of them fit the bill!

Comment

Uhhhhnnnn...how do you know she was landed gentry?
          OC

Comment

How odd - I lost my reply somewhere!

OC, I don't know - or even necessarily believe - that Margaret would have been landed gentry herself, but the Lancasters are one of the big eight or nine land owning Liverpool families. If she is of that name, then somewhere she will be related. Just the same as if you found a 'Plantagenent' on your tree - you'd know that somewhere you'd be linking up to royalty.

Comment

Not necessarily related. the surname Lancaster would also be given to foundlings etc, or to male workers on the manor lands, pre 1400.

What I'm trying to say is that the history of the Lancaster family may be of no use whatsoever in tracing this family, if she is from the peasant side, lol.

OC

Comment

Ah yes, hadn't thought of that.

Looking for the Lancaster tree was just one avenue, really. Seeing as I'm stumped as to where to find her baptismal record...

Comment

Do you know when/where she died? Or even he? There may be something on a gravestone to help, or maybe a Will.

OC

Comment

Sadly not, no. Just sometime between the birth of the couple's third child in 1797 and the 1841 census on which she doesn't (seem) to appear.

All very vague, I know.

I'd guess a father's name as either James, John or Thomas based on the names of her kids, but that's about it for origins.

Comment

have you tired the lancs opc website? or is that where the info comes from? ok, so i couldnt find the marriage or a burial for them. maybe the registers for childwall are on cd? parish chest is a good site to check.

Comment

I tried Lancs OPC, yup.

Will check Parish Chest...hadn't previously heard of it.

Ahh...it's a pricey thing! I'll have to give that a miss then, sadly. Money is for food and heating, not for genealogy this year it would seem!!

Comment

Ahh...and the Childwall disc doesn't cover the years I want anyway...

Comment

And to further confuse things, I've just stumbled across a record on someone's ancestry tree (to which I am not subscribed) stating:

Name: Sir Robert Fleetwood
                            Birth: dd mm 1770
                            Marriage: date - city, Lancashire, England
                            Spouse: Margeret Lancaster
                            Robert is a knight of the realm? And his children are agricultural labourers? This is very odd indeed. Yet the records definitely give us:

Robert Fleetwood
                            marriage: 09 Aug 1792 Childwall,​ Lancashire,​ England
                            spouse: Margeret Lancaster
                            And the three children arrive at Walton -
                            John Fleetwood
                            christening: 16 Jul 1797 CHILDWALL,​LANCASHIRE,​ENGLAND
                            parents: Robert Fleetwood,​ Margaret
                            Thomas Fleetwood
                            christening: 26 Apr 1795 CHILDWALL,​LANCASHIRE,​ENGLAND
                            parents: Robert Fleetwood,​ Margaret

And there's also a Childwall birth for a James Fleetwood in 1793.

If anyone can lend a fresh pair of eyes to that...I'd be fascinated!

Comment

Originally posted by MrStephen View Post
                              And to further confuse things, I've just stumbled across a record on someone's ancestry tree (to which I am not subscribed) stating:

Name: Sir Robert Fleetwood
                              Birth: dd mm 1770
                              Marriage: date - city, Lancashire, England
                              Spouse: Margeret Lancaster
                              I cannot see a tree with this on. Can you give the link?
                              Elaine

Comment

The marriage of Robert and the baptisms of Thomas and John are on the familysearch website. They are extracted records, which means they are probably accurate.

Nothing about SIR Robert. I think that's probably a figment of someone's imagination, lol. I have vast experience of looking at Lancashire parish regs and I can tell you that whenever a Sir or a Lord does anything, his title is written extremely large, as is the entire entry!

OC

Comment

It could be this one, except the children are Robert and John, not Thomas and John.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/968...00179879?ssrc=

Doesn't give any real info for Margaret though.
                                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

The 1793 christening for James, 28 july 1793, father Robert, mother Margret (sic) in Childwall. Looks a definite possibility.
                                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Without looking through the links I live in Southport near Churchtown by Meols Hall the Hesketh Family Home Fleetwood and Hesketh are a big Family in the area so it may be worth contacting the NMFH Soc. http://www.nmfhssouthport.co.uk/

I can remember searching for this once before perhaps on the BBC or maybe here but it has been checked

Edna

Comment

Something of the Hesketh Family of Meols Hall, not so old as I had thought though.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X