2nd opinion with my Codd family please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd opinion with my Codd family please

I have requested help with this before but now have more info from certs so apologies if it seems familiar.

I'm looking for family of Herbert Charles Codd b between 1874 -77. I have found a likely family but am not 100%. He is sometimes known as Herbert Charles and sometimes Charles Herbert and the same for his father so v confusing.

The Facts.
    Herbert Charles Codd served in the British Army then moved to the Indian Army. He was of English nationality (NB. CWGC record him as Indian but marriage cert and birth cert for son record him as English) and his Grandaughter "believes" him to have been born in the UK to a London family. (No proof)

Date of Birth Apr 1874 (from Army Short Service papers) or 1877 (from marriage certificate). On army papers his name and signature are Herbert Charles Codd. Died 19 Mar 1920 Meerut, India.

Marriage 1 to Alice Johannah Brien on 7 Aug 1901 in St Thomas Mount, Madras, India. She died 18 Jun 1902 Pallavarum, Madras, India. Groom recorded as Herbert Charles Codd but he signed Charles Herbert Codd. Overseas cert so it is a handwritten copy not a scan. Groom's father Herbert Charles Codd, dead.

Marriage 2 to Muriel Wilhelmina Fletcher on 23 Feb 1903 in Bezwada, India. Groom recorded as and signed Herbert Charles Codd. Groom's father Charles Herbert Codd Occupation M.D. deceased. I assumed this to mean doctor but now think it is possible his son invented this to improve his own standing.

Children from 2nd marriage
    Wilhelmina Sophia Lydia Betsy Codd b 12 Jan 1910, Viziangram, India. d 22 Apr 1910 Rajamundry, Madras, India

Charles Victor Codd b 10 May 1911, Viziangram, India. Believed to have remained in India after independence in 1947.

Ada Muriel Codd b 19 May 1916, Madura, India d 2008, Cheltenham UK
    Marriage 1 Herbert/Hubert Edward Trutwein 25 Apr 1934 Vepery, Madras, India
    Marriage 2 Leonard Bennett. Returned to UK in 1947.

1881 England Census Class: RG11/543; Folio: 13; Page: 19 Father Charles Codd b1853 Lincoln, mother Sophia Codd b1855 Southwark, Charles Codd b1877 St Lukes, Middlesex. (Household Beavis family)

London marriages 10 Oct 1875
    Sophia Beavis to Herbert Charles Codd. The signature of the groom is very similar to the signature of "his son" on his army papers.

Would really like to find a bap for Charles Codd b 1877 to see if the name Herbert is used.

Have I got the right family or am I clutching at straws?
    Helen in Glos

Can't see any baptism on ancestry for Charles or Herbert Charles Codd but not all are on there.
    Have you tried familysearch.org for the baptism?
    The birth nearest to St Luke's 1877 on BMD seems to be one in Holborn not sure if it covered St Luke's at that stage as I know it used to be a registration district in its own right at one point.
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret
      In 1877 Holborn did include St Lukes so I think it is the most likely. If it is recorded as Charles in indexes does it mean the certificate will just say Charles or might it include a middle name, I can't remember. That's why I was after a bap because I think I need to find some ref to Charles Herbert to tie it all together . There is nothing obvious on familysearch, I have been looking for a couple of years and this is my first breakthrough.
      Helen in Glos

Comment

I guess I would expect to see maybe an initial for the second name but who knows it may not have been sent to GRO with another initial showing.
        The LMA records would have been the best bet but there is nothing showing on there and I don't know if there are more parishes to come on that database - someone more knowledgeable than me on this site might know.
        Margaret

Comment

Working...
        X