HILLIER brickwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HILLIER brickwall

I just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction with this brickwall Ive tried to solve for over a year now.
    My ggg grandad George Hillier lived in Honey stree Woodborough Wiltshire with his little boy William b.1838/9 & Thomas (my gggrandad) b.1841, Kezia his wife died a few weeks after giving birth to Thomas from TB and so on the 1841 census it shows George down as Geo living with William and Thomas is down a few doors away with a family called the Carpel family I presume with a nursing mother because he was only 10wks old and there was another child in their family of the same age.
    In 1851 William and Thomas are in Devizes Union workhouse but no George, I cant seem to find whether he was just out when they did the census that day or whether he had died. There are so many George hilliers who died between 1841 & 1851 I just cant find him anywhere.
    I dont know where he was born or his real age all I know is he is down as 45yrs in 1841census. Are there any lists of residents of this workhouse when they went there only I though if I could find out when the boys went in it may be a clue to when George died.
    On Thomas's marriage cert it states George as deceased and that was in 1864.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Wendymac

How about this marriage?
    George Hillier & Keziah Chandler 21st Nov 1836 at Woodborough St Mary Magdalene.
    Moggie

Comment

You're right Wendy, it is difficult. There are 9 deaths of George Hillier in Devizes between the 1841 and 1851 census. I guess he is probably one of those. As it doesn't give ages at death that early though I really can't imagine how you would know which is him.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thankyou to you both Chrissie and Maudarby. Yes that is their marriage I have got the cert. Keziah is no easier to find I have given up on ever finding her can't seem to find where she was born or where she came from. George is my family line so I think it best to try and find his past really. Do you know if there would be records of which church they would be buried at.
        Thanyou

Wendymac

Comment

I suppose you would only perhaps be able to distinguish by the occupation if it was other than ag lab or similar.
          I looked at the burial index and there's nothing there that stands out but maybe an enquiry to the Wiltshire Family History Society might prove helpful.
          Margaret

Comment

Have a look at the Wiki page on this site http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/82-Wiltshire
            I had a quick look at the WiltshireBMD site and they have transcribed some with ages shown!! Not yours but then again not all years covered yet.
            Margaret

Comment

Have a look at the Research Offers thread on the main Research Advice Board and maybe there will be some kind soul willing to have a look at the Wiltshire Record Office records for you.
              Margaret

Comment

Two possible burials for George 14th May 1847 St John the Baptist Devizes & 29th August 1841 Lyneham.
                If the 2 boys were in the workhouse in Devizes in 1851 it's possible that George may also have been in there earlier & I'm gussing he would have been buried locally. The entry in the burial register may give his abode as the Union house.
                Burial for Keziah 6th April 1841 Woodborough.
                Moggie

Comment

Thankyou for all your replys and for taking the time to look for me. I will try the links suggested and possibly write to the Wiltshire records office, I think thats all I can do now. Thanks once again.

Wendy x

Comment

Working...
                  X