Entering USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering USA

Hello I have looked all through my paper work and can't find anything to say that I have asked this question before so here goes ---- Daniel Bailey was born in Wilts: in 1847 ,he married in 1864 in the RC Church in Chelsea to Martine Emily Oates. She died in Battersea in 1931 ,then Daniel seemed to drop of the planet, so to speak . Daniel was a blacksmith, The only Daniel Bailey Blacksmith that could be found anywhere in the world was in Milford Michigan,where he married again All the dates fit. To find if this is my missing Daniel , can some one please tell me when and where he entered the USA. Thank you
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

The 1900 census he entered 1864.

Will have a look to see if i can see anything for around then.
    Karen

Comment

Thank you that would be a great help
      Sheila

Comment

Must away to lunch I will be back soon
        Sheila

Comment

Sorry, not seeing anything that matches.
          Karen

Comment

Could he have gone in through Canada ????

Comment

There is a Naturalisation record for a Daniel Bailey (dob 13 March 1847) in New York on 5 Aug 1895. His occupation is listed as Porter though so not sure if it is your Daniel.
              He arrived in New York on 12 March 1889 and is listed as English. His address is given as 231 W 58 Street, New York City.

Just found another one!

Daniel Bailey, dob 9 April 1847 in England. Arrived in New York City 24 Sept 1866. Naturalisation date 26 May 1888. No occupation given and the address is just listed as 'Providence'.
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 20-02-11, 03:29.
              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

There's a possible on the Castle Garden site:

Daniel Bailey, labourer aged 22, arrival date 13th August 1870. Ship: Holland, departure from Glasgow.
                I think all the arrivals on this site are in New York.

Comment

I see there's a Daniel Bailey, farm labourer, 21, born in Scotland living in Illinois in the 1870 census; I would have thought that might be the one who departed from Glasgow, except that the census was taken on 1st June and he arrived in August.

Comment

Daniel marries in England in 1864 and

Daniel Baily/Bailey marries Phoebe in 1867 in Michigan, so would have to be between those dates.
                    Karen

Comment

Good Morning Karen, You have got it right, both dates are of my 2X greatgrandfather Daniel, Both my aged Aunts want to know if this is our Daniel, if so he was a bigamist. it seems that there is a 3 year window for his arrival in the USA Just 1 more skeleton to our closet lol
                      Sheila

Comment

Could this be him - from my post #7 above. Do you have his date of birth?

Daniel Bailey, dob 9 April 1847 in England. Arrived in New York City 24 Sept 1866. Naturalisation date 26 May 1888. No occupation given and the address is just listed as 'Providence'.
                        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

It could be ,Daniel was born 19 Dec: 1847 in Swallowfield Wilt: He and Martina had 1 child ( my greatgrandfather ) Jan 1865 they were married in the RC church in Chelsea in 1862 , the child William Daniel Bailey was born Jan: 1865 that could have been a "kind' of shotgun wedding by the dates.
                          Daniel & Phoebe were married in Oakland Michigan in1867 they had 3 sons Charles H A Bailey 5 Nov 1869 William Daniel Bailey 1872 & Frank D Bailey 1879 Daniel died in Milford Michigan in 1907, Yes he did have 2 sons call William Daniel . and Phoebe was born in New York
                          Sheila

Comment

Sorry where is Providence ??? it's only 7.30 am: "down under" so i am not yet wide awake lol
                            Sheila

Comment

Working...
                            X