Mary SMITH - Lancashire/Shropshire/ Breconshire? - 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary SMITH - Lancashire/Shropshire/ Breconshire? - 1841

When Mary Smith married in Glasbury, Breconshire, in April 1847, she was a spinster of full age, living in Glasbury, the daughter of Charles Smith, a potter. The groom was William Thomas.

If I have traced her correctly, according to 1851, when the family was still living in Breconshire, she was born in Shifnal, Shropshire, circa 1824. However in 1861 and 1871, her pob is shown as Blackrod, Lancashire and year of birth 1826/7. There is no doubt that all three records refer to the same person.

I now have the almost impossible task of finding Mary Smith in 1841 in almost any part of the country and quite likely not with her parents, and am in desperate need of any help than can be offered. Can someone put me out of my misery, please?

That really is a bit of a nightmare search-target!

If all the other evidence points the same way, a year or two in age is not much to worry about census-to-census. I have several people who managed ot age significantly less than ten years between censuses, for example!

The resources available to me don't seem likely to help, I;m afraid.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks. I agree that usually a couple of years either way is no great deal and some variation in place of birth can be tolerated, but if I am to have any chance of tracing a Mary Smith in 1841 the search parameters need to be as narrow as possible, which is not the case here.

I have posted more in hope than expectation but I seen some quite stupendous "traces" here on FTF. If she is to be found I think it is as likely to be here as anywhere.

Comment

I seen some quite stupendous "traces" here on FTF. If she is to be found I think it is as likely to be here as anywhere.
        Well that's a fair comment! The "team" here has, indeed, had some amazing results with very small info. Just at the moment, OH has had very serious health problems, so I don't think I have the concentration to help you out much, but I hope someone comes up with something for you.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,

So sorry to hear of OH's health problems. I trust he is receiving treatment that is giving him both relief and prospect of improvement. I also hope you are having effective support at what must be a trying and worrying time. In the circumstances I am doubly appreciative of the trouble you have taken to respond to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by brentor boy View Post
            Hi Christine,

So sorry to hear of OH's health problems. I trust he is receiving treatment that is giving him both relief and prospect of improvement. I also hope you are having effective support at what must be a trying and worrying time. In the circumstances I am doubly appreciative of the trouble you have taken to respond to my post.
            Thank you - I appreciate your consideration and good wishes.

We were fortunate
            • to be living within range of a hospital with a world class reputation for dealing with exactly that sort of problem
            • that the ambulancemen/paramedics were prompt and proactive
            • that OH was reasonably fit - and had shed about 5 stone of surplus weight only a year or so ago
            • that we have a reliable and supportive family
            • that we have a reliable and supportive network of friends

We may not take up all the offers of help we've received but, strangely, it's partly the knowledge that that help is available that makes us not need to call on it ~ because that availability takes off the pressure.

...and occasional posting on here is a useful source of relaxation.

Christine

Comment

Working...
            X