Where did Thomas Crouch come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did Thomas Crouch come from?

Be gentle with me - this is my first post! I have my G/Father's death certificate in 1926 aged 62yrs; I have him on the C1911 in Scunthorpe aged 49 b: Buckinghamshire; C1901 aged 38 b: London and C1891 aged 28 b: Buckinghamshire. I have his marriage certificate to Mary Holdsworth on 10Jul89 in Scunthorpe but where was he before then? The only Thomas Crouch I can find for Buckinghamshire is C1881 Thomas Croush and C1871 Thomas Crouch in Olney but his birth certificate shows him as Thomas William and he was living in Northampton***** at C1891. What/where now?
    Mike

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    You say you have his marriage certificate. What is the name and occupation of his father. Do the witnesses look as if they might be family members?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Thomas,
      Welcome to the forum. Can you give the references for the censuses where your grandfather appears? What is his father's name & occupation on the marriage certificate you have?
      Margaret

Comment

Hi Elaine. His father is shown as Thomas Crouch, Labourer and the witnesses are both relatives of Mary Holdsworth.
        Mike

Comment

Is this him in 1871? With his grandparents.

Class: RG10; Piece: 1420; Folio: 30; Page: 5; GSU roll: 828772.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks, Wendy but that was where I thought he was too - see my comment in post #1.
            Mike

Comment

Margaret
              C1901 - RG13, Piece 3106, Folio 31, Page 13.
              C1891 - RG12, Piece 2628, Folio 69, Page 19.
              and I think
              C1911 - RG14 PN20087?
              Mike

Comment

So - has this stumped this Forum too?
                Thanks anyway
                Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I have now spent a few months researching court/prison records and I could come up with a possible Thomas who could be my grandfather BUT I still have no definitive proof as to his birth date or place. Hey ho!
                  Mike

Comment

Using the Northampton ans Olney as a clue have you ever noticed this birth reg?

Births Mar 1866
                    -------------------------

Crouch Thomas Bedford 3b 338

Not the same fellow given the dates but there is also this baptism;

Name: Thomas Crouch
                    Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Apr 1861
                    Baptism/Christening Place: ARLESEY,BEDFORD,ENGLAND
                    Father's Name: James Crouch
                    Mother's Name: Elizabeth
                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-05-11, 10:26.
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Thomas and welcome to FTF

I think you may be following the wrong Thomas Crouch backwards. As you say that he was Thomas William at birth, are you looking at the Jan-March 1864 Thomas William Crouch in Newport Pagnell? I think this birth may be for the one who was born Olney and is living with his grandparents and widowed father Josiah in 1871, and with his father Josiah and new wife Elizabeth in 1881 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=626100

I believe that this is the same one who is married (1886) to Sarah Ann (Nee Nutt) in 1891 -

He is a shoe finisher on all census.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Josiah marriages

Marriages Jun 1863
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CROUCH Josiah Newport. P 3a 641

Marriages Jun 1873
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crouch Josiah Newport P. 3a 795

Marriages Dec 1876

CROUCH Josiah Newport P 3a 911

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Chrissie
                          Thanks - that's what I had tracked down so clearly not my grandfather.

Comment

Glen -thanks.
                            I had got the Josiah connection (father) when I was researching Thomas William of Olney (who isn't my grandfather - see posts above). As to the Bedford connection - after the record of the Thomas birth in Jan/Feb/Mar of 1866 I could find nothing in further records. Similarly with the 29Apr61 christening I can find no further record of Thomas or even his parents (shown) James and Elizabeth. You can now see my frustration!!!! Thanks anyway.

Comment

I take it you have no family information about your grandfather's siblings. I suppose it's possible that the father's name of Thomas given on the marriage certificate may be fictitious as this often happened when people either didn't know their father's name because they were illegitimate or they were brought up by relatives for some reason.
                              Margaret.

Comment

Did you notice that on the birth index for the Thomas Crouch b1866 Bedford there is also a Charles Crouch on the same page - twins?
                                Margaret

Comment

Probably worth making up potential family groups from the details researched. I had several small clusters of a surname over an area of the country and eventually found they were connected.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasCrouch View Post
                                    The only Thomas Crouch I can find for Buckinghamshire is C1881 Thomas Croush and C1871 Thomas Crouch in Olney but his birth certificate shows him as Thomas William and he was living in Northampton***** at C1891. What/where now?
                                    Mike

I'm slightly confused, is the birth cert mentioned for a different Thomas to the 1926 death cert and 1889 marriage cert? What are the details from the birth cert? Date, place, father etc.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen
                                      Apologies if I have confused anyone. The birth cert is for Thomas William who is the Olney (Newport Pagnell) connection - father Josiah, etc NOT my g/father who is the death cert of 1926 - a different Thomas. Thanks for the advice on family groups: with all the folders of info I have and the research I have done that should cover every Crouch family in England (and a few who seem to have strayed over the Border!)

Comment

Margaret
                                        No evidence or 'family' information about siblings, etc. I'll have a look at the possible Charles connection - thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X