deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deaths

How many of you can't find death records i thought they would be easier to find
    than some records but it is not case with me.
    Maggiemay

I agree Maggiemay. You can't just Die and not be registered.
    I have several in my tree that I can't find.
    In my case, some of them are common names so there is too much choice.
    The name could be mistranscribed.
    If a woman remarries before she dies then you are looking for the wrong name.
    It's so frustrating isn't it.

June

Comment

If you would like to put up the name Maggie I'm sure there are plenty of us who would be happy to have a look for you. A fresh eye sometimes helps.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes, I've struggled to find these too.
        One problem is that, unless you hve other info on when and where the person died, there can be a huge time scale to search, from last "sighting" to latest possible year of death - and don't forget even when average age of death was much youger than now SOME people lived into their 90s and beyond.
        Then there is the problem of not knowing whether the person may have moved to a different part of the country - a few of mine stayed stubbornly in their ancestral village until just before their death, then upped sticks to be registered at death hundreds of miles away - perhaps having moved to be cared for by younger members of the family.
        If we're really unlucky they move to another country and die there.
        If female, they may remarry (even quite elderly women on my tree did this to confuse me) and die under a different surname.
        If they outlive close family informants at death may get their age and even their name wrong.
        Don't give up though:
        One of my great grandmothers died at the house she had lived in for decades and had a clear headstone in the church yard. I was totally confused when I searched for a death certificate as the only death in the right quarter I could find was at the other end of the country. I wove all sorts of theories about her dieing on holiday etc but eventually found her death registered a year earlier, the mason had got the headstone inscription wrong.
        I couldn't find my great grandfather's death either for ages. The only one with the correct surname, place and age had the christian name Ambrose instead of David. He was David when baptised, married and on all censuses. The local registrar kindly checked and found that "Ambrose's" son had registered the death and that the son's name and the occupation and address of the deceased all tallied with this being my David!
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

i have 3 ancestors in direct lines that dissapear 1850's-1870's, but i cant find their deaths, and research into cemteries and church burials has turned up nothing.

Comment

I have one who mysteriously died 70 miles from where he had lived all his life and in a different county. Because it was a common name it took me many years to realise, even though I knew his exact date of death from the MI.

I also mislaid a lady who had married FOR THE FIRST TIME at the age of 78!!!!! I found her by sheer luck, when looking for someone else entirely. (MIs again!)

OC

Comment

After 18 months of searching and4 attempts at getting certificates, thanks to Lin Fisher I've finally managed to track down the death of my GGGrandmother - having lived all her life in Derbyshire, and her husband being in Nottingham after her death, I finally found her having died up near Mansfield.The name was quite a common one, so had lots of choices. The bonus for me was that as she had unfortunately died in childbirth, I could now find the birth of her last child.

Linda
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

My ggg grandfather died in 1856. He is not on the GRO index and not in the registration offices of either area he could come under. I only have his burial, aged 88, in the place where I would expect to find him. (LOL - at least I know he is actually dead!). Someone else of the same name died in the same Reg district at the same time - I sent for the wrong cert - and I wonder if someone making the indexes thought it must be the same one.

Believe me - I've gone through the GRO index for that time with a fine toothcomb and he's not there! I would have dearly loved to have his certificate because it would be his only one (birth and marriage obviously being too early). I also wrote to both Reg districts which might have been involved with no luck.

James Peck, buried in Barton le Clay, BDF on 2 Aug 1856. He had lived in Barton for at least 30 years. His family lived in Barton or nearby villages.

Anne

Comment

I often think the GRO index is the place you will be LEAST likely to find the record, those who died and were registered by non family members usually finish up with mangled variant spellings and other details that are often awry, plop in the numerous times the info is transcribed to produce the GRO index and it's a wonder so many records are actually reasonably accurate. Those awkward souls who die miles from where they lived are a pain too, toddle off to the country/seaside for a holiday and peg out while you are there, how blinking inconsiderate is that? Do they know how much trouble they are going to cause for their descendants in years to come?
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I meant to say - the one who died out of area, and whose death cert I finally found, was not and still is not on the GRO index. I got his death cert from the local register Office and if their indexes hadn't been available to search on line, I'd still be fruitlessly looking.

For very early deaths - you didn't actually have to register a death, only if you felt like it, lol. The law was tightened up in 1875.

OC

Comment

I have been looking for my death for 9years I have narrowed down to 3 year gap looked under every spelling of name also had a search done at the local office and have been in touch with cemeterys
                      but I have never had any luck. the years between 1888-1891
                      Maggiemay

Comment

One of my surnames of interest has 4 usual variant spellings. A friend has recently been trying to find 'lost' registrations and so looked up all these people in census. As she knew quite alot about them, she located them although no thanks to the transcriptions.
                        I appreciate that it is a long and arduous task reading old script, but I was amazed when she told me that she had logged 35 spellings for the surname.
                        No wonder we've 'lost' a few folk.

Comment

One of my Great Grandmother's death is eluding me. I have 4 wrong certs so far!!! Given up for the moment until I get further leads. One Grt Uncle eluded me until a sibling sent me some information which took the said Grt Uncle to Australia and a death there so some of those elusive ones have gone to further climes.

Janet

Comment

I have 2 direct line ancestors who didn't appear in the GRO index or the indexes for the local Register Office where they 'should' of been registered, luckily I have both their burial details.

I spent years trying to find the death of a great great great grandmother, she appeared on the 1891 census (this was before the 1901 census has been released), so I searched about 40 years of deaths in the GRO index (this was before it came online!). Found nothing, so I checked a few more years, still nothing & she would of been well over a hundred at this point. A few years later the 1901 census is released & up she pops living with her son, she'd remarried, to a Smith. It then took a few more years to find her death as Mary Smith!
                            Jay

Comment

I am amazed at the number of "unknown male" and "unknown female" burial records I come across while searching through the burial records of our local churches and cemetery.

Oviously these "unknowns" belonged to a family somewhere.

It makes for very sad reading and maybe the reason for difficulties in finding relatives.

Lesley

Comment

Yes, Lesley its very sad how many you see along the lines of "unknown young man found dead in a dithc" variety.

My all time favourite was "unknown man, a Scotch quack, found dead" Someone with Scottish ancestors will be searching for him! He's buried in Bedfordshire!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                X