I've lost my 2x great grandmother in 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've lost my 2x great grandmother in 1861

Can anyone help me to find my 2x great grandmother in 1861 please.

She is Mary Johnston born about 1822 in Scotland, in 1845 she married Robert Walker in Coldstream.

In the 1851 Census they were living in Coldstream with daughters Mary, Margaret & Agnes.

In 1871 Mary is a widow living in Newcastle upon Tyne with Agnes and a son Thomas aged 8.

In 1881 she is living with a son-in-law in Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne.

In 1891 she is living with the Ormston/Armston family in All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne, she is described as 'Mother' but I assume that she is mother to Jane rather than John Ormston/Armston.

In 1901 she is living in Elswick with son Thomas a widower aged 38.

She died in Newcastle Workhouse in 1902.

I've tried both the Scottish and English Census returns for 1861 without any luck and I'm wondering if anyone here can succeed where I have failed. There is a big gap between the births of children between 1851 and 1861 and I am hoping that there will be more children in 1861 including Jane who was born about 1857.

Thanks for any help

Margaret
    Margaret

any ideas of occupation for Robert?

Comment

Hello Val, In 1851 Robert was a builder employing 10 men, he was born in Eccles, Berwickshire.

Margaret
      Margaret

Comment

I have been looking also but no luck so far.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for looking Val and Herky, perhaps she'll turn up one day when I'm looking for someone else.

Margaret
          Margaret

Comment

I have looked, too - no success yet.
            Joy

Comment

Thanks Joy, Perhaps they were on the road between Scotland and Newcastle and got missed, pity because I think that there could be more children mentioned, particularly that Jane who suddenly popped up on the 1891 Census.

Margaret
              Margaret

Comment

IGI returns jane born 14 JUN 1856 Coldstream, Berwick, Scotland

parents as you say above

Agnes Birth: 01 AUG 1850 Coldstream, Berwick, Scotland
                Last edited by Jessbowbag; 20-02-11, 19:38.
                Jess

Comment

Thank you for that Jess, what a wally I am I got some info on the family from the IGI but never thought to look for the children on there.

Margaret
                  Margaret

Comment

maybe this one? 1861

Robt Walton 40
                    Mary J Walton 39
                    Margt Walton 13
                    Agnus Walton 10
                    Jane Walton 4
                    Janet Walton 1
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Bingo Julie, I think that you've cracked it, FMP have also transcribed Walker as Walton and looking at the original it is a close call as to which it should be. I'd never heard of 'Janet', there is a Janet Walker on FreeBMD registered in Newcastle for Q3 1859 which would make her age on the census correct, there isn't a Janet Walton born in the same period, unfortunately there is a death for Janet Walker in Newcastle in Q4 1861 so the poor little mite didn't live long.

Thank you very much.

Margaret
                      Margaret

Comment

No worries Margaret, I just used wal*** as a wildcard then it was a matter of looking for clues, :smilee:
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X