Germany to London in 1851

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany to London in 1851

I've got a William Henry (Wilhelm Heinrich) Helpser/Helsper who sailed from London to New York on the "Mary Evans" in June 1851. He originally came from Hahn in Germany (the place Ryanair jokingly call "Frankfurt Hahn") I believe he only used London as a stopping off point to get the ship to NY.

I've got a lot of information about what happened to him when he reached the US but I'm trying to find details of his trip to London.Can anyone help, please ?

Highly unlikely that any records were kept. My great-grandmother came to England from the Black Forest area about that time. I assume she went overland to one of the Channel ports and sailed on a packet boat. The long sea route from Hamburg to (say) Hull is another possibility. Either way there would be no records as passports were not in general use until a long time after that.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I dont think that any such records exist Grey, I seem to recall that it was only great distance journeys that got logged. ( I could be wrong though)
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ancestry has Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869, but he doesn't seem to be listed.

Comment

This is a handy site - http://stevemorse.org/

Comment

Thanks, everyone....I checked Ancestry Alien Arrivals, too, but not very experienced with it, so thought I might have missed it. I think records were kept at the German end, although they're not complete, by any means. I've got a British friend in a village near here & she's quite experienced in family history & has traced the journey details of her husband's family who went to London from Germany via Bremen. I'm hoping to see her next week, so, if John or anyone else would like to send me the details they have, I could ask her to see what she can do. Post here or send me a PM

Comment

Maria Magdalena BILGER. Baptised 22 Sep 1858 in the Catholic church in Balg, Baden (IGI Batch C950221). By 1881 she's in Liverpool aged 22. Her sister Marie was baptised on 25 July 1862 and also came to England. Her first sighting is 1891 in Torquay, where her now married sister was living.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There are the passenger lists out of Hamburg. But that's a bit of a trek from Hahn (which isn't far from some friends of ours!).

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Some of my Croatian relatives travelled up to Hamburg to emigrate to the US so long journeys to Hamburg were not unknown

Comment

I was hoping you might be able to have the luck I did. Many German towns have their own webpages, where you can find out lots about the areas - and there can be links to local groups - such as Local History Societies (which could have links to genealogists).

I'll add any things I can find here:

I had a look at the list of societies, here: http://www.bad-bad.de/vereine/index.htm
                    but couldn't spot any likely names.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks very much, everyone.....I'll do what I can, John. I agree, Jane, people did trek a long way.

Germany to Liverpool is interesting, John.....both my friend's husband's family & my g grandfather's family did the same....do you know if your family had anything to do with the sugar factory ? It was largely dependent on labour brought over from Germany. As your family were Catholics, I guess they wouldn't have been connected with the Liverpool German Church ?

Comment

Working...
                      X