are all baptism records recorded with GRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are all baptism records recorded with GRO

I am trying to trace an ancestor who may have a different name to what we knew her as
    Going through all forenames beginning with 'M' I have come across Margaret Ann on a family tree website but am not subscribed t it to check details
    This name cannot be found on any other family tree sites nor Freebmd
    any reasons why?

also forgot to ask

If the baptism is not registered with GRO how can a certficate be obtained

Comment

Hello Deniseann

baptisms arent recodred with the GRO, only birth/marriage and deaths are, is the person you are looking for still alive? if so then we dont allow living peoples names to be put onsite, though if the person you are looking for is deceased then you are fine to post. If the person is still living then you will have to ask members to PM (private message) you to obtain the details.

welcome btw :smilee:
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

no she died in 1932
        so I cannot get a certficate for this birth then?

Comment

so every child born in Victorian era did not have to get birth registered as long as it was baptised - is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by deniseann View Post
            so every child born in Victorian era did not have to get birth registered as long as it was baptised - is that correct?
            No!

You should be able to find a birth certificate for her.
            If you cannot see one with the correct first name, it's possible that the parents hadn't decided on her name at the time of registration and she is just registered as female <surname>
            Elaine

Comment

thanks for help

Comment

births began to be registered in sep 1837, along with deaths and marriages. prior to 1837, it is parish records you need, usually showing date and place of the event, parents names and sometimes fathers occupation for births. marriages record witnesses and sometimes occupation and marital status, and if your really lucky, where the bride and groom where from at the time. burials sometimes list age and occupation, usually residence.

it was not compulsory to register births until 1875, so theat may explain why you are having trouble, or maybe your ancestor is mistranscribed. maybe your looking for a birth pre 1837.

Comment

No it is 1875 at least the one I have found
                  does anyone know how you find an un-named child's birth on freebmd as all births on there seem to have a forename

Comment

Give us what you know and we will have a look.
                    Elaine

Comment

Try Male or Female as the first name if the child is un named at the time of registration
                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Give us what you know and we will have a look.
                        margaret ann opie born 1875 st blazey cornwall

Comment

Where did you find that information?
                          Have you found her on a census - any idea of parents?
                          Elaine

Comment

freebmd has margaretta opie born 1878 June Quarter registered in Redruth - nothing closer in time.
                            Angelina

Comment

theres a margaret ann opie ch.1874, but born 1864, in st blazey, parents phillip and mary anne opie.

Comment

that must be her then
                                thank you - it will be wrong one as too late

back to the drawing board

Comment

can you give some information on the person your after? and how you know about her?

Comment

well I am after someone who we knew as melinda opie and her certs said minnie
                                    as we have no concrete birth year anywhere from 1868 - 1877 tho her death cert says 1877 but 1901 census say 1872 and 1911 census says 1868
                                    we have no parentage for her - she is my g grandmother
                                    so I was going through all M Opie's hoping to get the correct one eventually
                                    incidentally born either sancreed (1901 census) and liskeard (1911 census)

so you see the problem

Comment

St Blazey, Sancreed and Liskeard are all miles from each other and are probably all different people.

Do you have her marriage cert for her father's name?

OC

Comment

The forename MAlinda is more common in Cornwall than MElinda, so what about this one

Malinda Opie Mar 1874 Helston 5c196.

I think Helston would cover the Sancreed registration area back then.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X