Place name in germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place name in germany

Any ideas please..trying to find where HALLE KREIS SAALE, GERMANY was prior to August, 1920. It was stated as being the last place of residence outside of Belgium on a document from the Belgium Police Archives.

Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

Take a look at this page on Cyndis List where you may find anything German but you will have to browse

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna..I'll see if I can find something...so far I've come up with (Halle) Salle and a few places beginning with Kreis without the Halle/Salle....

Comment

..and from google maps..Saale, Konnern and Haale (in brackets Saale)..spelt incorrectly above..should be Saale and not Salle..

Comment

...using a German to English translator..I'm getting hall (Haale), circle/round field (Kreis) and large room/banquet hall (Saale)...

Comment

I think the word Kreis means County.
            This looks like a good possibility, from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halle,_Saxony-Anhalt):
            "Halle is the largest city in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt. It is also called Halle an der Saale (literally Halle on the Saale river, and in some historic references simply Saale after the river) in order to distinguish it from the town of Halle in North Rhine-Westphalia. The current official name of the city is Halle (Saale)."
            Last edited by Cloggie; 18-02-11, 06:00.
            Sarah

Comment

Will come back to this later.....Kreis just means area, so it's not necessarily the town itself, but probably a village in that administrative area

Comment

Thought so, Naomi.....it's the Halle which is still there, formerly in East Germany....quite a big city (I've got a nephew living there) It's the one Cloogie mentioned above

Comment

Unfortunately, you find quite a few neo Nazis in Halle (but then you do in Dresden too & we had a lovely holiday there last year.... people couldn't have been more welcoming...but we were in the centre & not in the residential outskirts)

Comment

Thanks for the info Cloggie and Grey - any idea if the area was used as a transit stop to Hamburg or Bremen?
                    Got details of a man who was born in Kutno, Poland, in 1895. He married in Kutno in 1922. He arrived in Antwerp in August, 1920 and the details said legal residence was Kutno and last residence outside of Belgium was Halle Kreis Salle, Germany. Not quite sure what he was doing there. He was a pastry baker by profession.

Comment

There isn't any particular historical reason as such, but the whole area was in chaos after the First World War. He probably just stopped on the way where he could, finding work etc...maybe staying where he had contacts, friends or relatives....he did very well to make it bad to Kutno, actually. Halle was & is a large centre, so it would have been a logical place for a transit stop etc, but I don't know if it ever was an "official" one.

Comment

thanks grey....and yes, you would've thought it wouldn't have been ideal just after WW1..

Comment

In case it ever proves relevant...

Towns with names like Halle / Saale were usually connected to the salt trade and trade routes.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

..that's interesting Christine...according to the document, he was a Pastry Baker...I'll try and find what he did after that time frame..

Comment

It's linked in with haline and saline meaning the same thing.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It's linked in with haline and saline meaning the same thing.

Christine

Comment

As far as the pastry cook bit goes, Germany was THE place for pastry cooks (when I say Germany, I mean the whole of Prussia....ie running into today's Poland etc) For most of the nineteenth century, virtually all of the pastry cooks in London were German. I don't know if they were employed in other countries (can't see the French greeting it enthusiastically) A by product of this was the fact that a big sugar refinery set up in Liverpool was almost totally dependent on German labour. Of course, by the time of the First World War, the mood had probably turned ugly or people were playing down their German roots.

There's a very interesting section on this in Jerry White's "London In The Nineteenth Century"

Comment

Working...
                                  X