Worth buying parish CDs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth buying parish CDs ?

I want to plot the Asher family in Notts/Leics (will probably take me further afield too, I guess). I've got access to Ancestry & FindMyPast. Is it worth buying the parish CDs ? (or, at least, when they bring out ones....hopefully in September....that I can use on my Mac)

Worth keeping an eye on FreeReg where parish registers are being transcribed by volunteers
    You can see the coverage so far:
    Nottinghamshire
    Leicestershire
    Elaine

Comment

I guess it depends on how long they stayed in the area.. alot of PR's are now appearing on www.familysearch.org the NFHS bmd discs arent complete but they have been invaluable to me and allowed me to use them and then verify the information in the relevant parish records.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

PR CDs can be worth buying but do be careful to look at what they actually contain. Some are quite limited in the years they cove; some only have transcriptions; some only cover one or two parishes. If they have what you want they are great but otherwise they might be an expensive mistake.

I realise its difficult for you personally to get to see the records in the Archives, or even maybe (?) at LDS Family Centres. Do they have them where you are? If you rellies stayed in the same parish or small area for a long time it might be worth it. If they were like mine and skipped about all over Bedfordshire its more difficult.

Have you considered joining the County Family History Society? they often have records for sale and/or members willing to do lookups. Some of them have some data on their websites too.

Anne

Comment

it is also worth your while to have a look at 'internet archive' they have some pr's on there.
          Julie

Comment

One CD I have, and a set of microfiche, are a facsimile of a bound volume of PR transcriptions done in 1903. Useful but not the same as the original registers.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have bought the St Martin Birmingham DVD from the BMSGH at a cost of £75. This has an index but is not a transcription but scanned images of the original register pages. As I have found a least 10 post 1837 marriages so it has paid for itself.
              I have also bought the £10 Bucks FHS St Peter & St Paul Buckingham which is a hi tech transcription CD but is worth it's weight in gold to me as Buckinghamshire is poorly served by the IGI due to the views of the diocese when the LDS wanted to film them.
              I also have 5 of the £17.50 Oxfordshire FHS "multiple parish" CDs all transcripts but excellent.

My Family Tree would be very bare without them !!!!
              (my pr transcription purchases goes back 20 years in fiche and books , must be more than £1000 worth, not to mention the over 100 BMD certificates)
              Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
              http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I would always look on the local family history society website first. they are generally transcribed by local people with local knowledge.
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

In the "ggod old days" when the registers where kept by the church, you had to go to the church where you where met by the verger, pay £5 for him to get them out of the parish chest for you to examine for 1 hour in the freezing church with him looking over your shoulder !!!!
                  Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

Try to get to a Family History Centre and order the films you want then at least you know you got the correct info, I am transcribing some parish registers and I was surprised to find how easy it is to make a mistake, sometimes there are a couple of letters you can't read in the middle of a name and you finish up with a completely different name so go and see for yourself

Comment

I bought a Cardiff Catholics CD for about £11 and worth every penny to me as it found nearly all of my ancestor's 22 children and many of their spouses. I also have fiche of the PRs for Combe St Nicholas and some fiche of Dr Campbell's index for some of my Somerset surnames. Could not do without this and just wish the whole of that index was available on CD as my searches lead me to new surnames that I don't have the fiche for.

I have recently had a huge breakthrough and a whole wall has come tumbling down but need to verify lots of information with the PRs for Pitton and Farley in Wiltshire. I will be attending the Who Do You Think You Are show so intend to buy them there and save on postage.

If you have lots of people to look up than they can be very useful.

Comment

i have the cd for all the churches of chichester, which has been invaluable, as sussex is poorly covered by both the igi and freereg. i also have them for grinton and harewood in yorks, both which i would no nothing on my lines if i didnt have them.

Comment

I recently discovered the purchase of CDs. I've looked at the microfilms at the Family History Centers. But there is always a time limit on the machines and finding the time during the day to get there. And then one gets home, looks at the info gathered and wishes to go back and check something or wander up or down a new line discovered. So having the CDs at home to search any time of day is almost perfect. I'm very glad I'm newly retired with enough $$ to buy the CDs when I find a good one and time to waste. But OH will soon start grouching cuz I now can spend days glued to the computer checking out the CDs. (My rellies didn't move far in the 17 and 1800s) So my warning would be about the time one can spend lost in the past. I wish Hampshire had Parish registers on CDs. I have some from Oxford which I found a breeze to wander around in and some from Berkshire which are not quite so navigable.
                          Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I have found them very valuable but,the information is, in the main, quite limited. Often only the names are recorded but no addresses or employment information. Also, some RC churches didn't record the deaths in the Parish. However, often, they are the only records when you are searching for really ancient information, so, in my opinion, worth the, usually, very modest expense.

Comment

Mmm.....thanks for all your comments. To be honest, I'm not really sure what's on them. Would they, for example, contain all the information on pre 1837 marriages that you get when you order a copy from the archives, or are they different....or does it vary ?

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                                Mmm.....thanks for all your comments. To be honest, I'm not really sure what's on them. Would they, for example, contain all the information on pre 1837 marriages that you get when you order a copy from the archives, or are they different....or does it vary ?
                                it does vary from record to record, if you had a copy of Philimores marriages for say Notts then all it is likely to tell you is the date/place of the event, names of bride and groom whether a widow/widower Batchelor or Spinster. whether it was by Licence or not. what it doesnt give you is witness name or Father of B&Gs. I dotn want to go into it too much as I might end up confusing you even more Grey..
                                Julie

Comment

I've found all the CDs I've bought from Family History Societies absolutely excellent. They've all been transcriptions of the pre 1837 parish registers, and all include every bit of information that is in the original records. Of course, there may be the odd transcription error but nothing like Ancestry and the others.

I couldn't have managed without them.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    it does vary from record to record, if you had a copy of Philimores marriages for say Notts then all it is likely to tell you is the date/place of the event, names of bride and groom whether a widow/widower Batchelor or Spinster. whether it was by Licence or not. what it doesnt give you is witness name or Father of B&Gs. I dotn want to go into it too much as I might end up confusing you even more Grey..
                                    I think you are very confused as to what parish registers show Darksecretz.
                                    Very few Church o England marriage registers before 1836 show witnesses or father of the Bride & Groom therefore it is impossible for a transcript (or even a photographic copy) to show such details.

As has been said transcripts vary some transcribers transcribe everything.
                                    Some restrict the transcriptions to the relevant details of the particular record.

As someone with a vested interest in CDs I would suggest that records on CD are very useful to family historians as they have advantages of paper records, microfiche/film.

These can include being machine searchable, the ability to enlarge the text if too small to read, the advantage of having records for the entire parish over a long period which allows one to spot trends in families.
                                    They also have advantages over online records by the fact that they are always available, they do not restrict the researcher to one entry at a time, they do not require a ongoing subscription to view them at a later date.
                                    These are just a few of the advantages of CD transcripts.
                                    Cheers
                                    Guy
                                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                                      I recently discovered the purchase of CDs. I've looked at the microfilms at the Family History Centers. But there is always a time limit on the machines and finding the time during the day to get there. And then one gets home, looks at the info gathered and wishes to go back and check something or wander up or down a new line discovered. So having the CDs at home to search any time of day is almost perfect. I'm very glad I'm newly retired with enough $$ to buy the CDs when I find a good one and time to waste. But OH will soon start grouching cuz I now can spend days glued to the computer checking out the CDs. (My rellies didn't move far in the 17 and 1800s) So my warning would be about the time one can spend lost in the past. I wish Hampshire had Parish registers on CDs. I have some from Oxford which I found a breeze to wander around in and some from Berkshire which are not quite so navigable.
                                      They do!! Better get your credit card out!!!

They are not quite as easy to search as the Oxfordshire ones, but they have the advantage over them of complete county coverage.
                                      Last edited by Caroline; 18-02-11, 07:15.
                                      Caroline
                                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

i cant see anyway tp purchase the cds, do you need to be a member?

Comment

Working...
                                        X