Question for Jewish experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Jewish experts

I've been reading a Jewish thread on Ancestry & someone says they believe that, for a time in Russia (around 1800), the wife's/mother's "maiden name" (I know we can't speak of that as such) was used to avoid conscription.

Anyone know if that's true, please ?

Grey

I don't know if that is specifically true but I do know that Jewish people have a very flexible attitude to what we would call surnames and might routinely use a female relatives' surname anyway.

In short, you need to be very open minded about Jewish surnames.

OC

Comment

it seems jewish genealogy is a nightmare. if you're talking c.1800, i assume you mean the napoleanoic wars?

Comment

I think it was only under Napoleonic rules that (continental) European Jews started adopting modern surnames instead of patronyms (or matronyms, when expedient, I guess!)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

You may find this site useful: www.jewishgen.org/

Sue

Comment

Hi - the spouses name was often used..e.g if the groom came from another village, it was common for him to take the brides surname..there were also specific areas in Russia/Poland where the brides surname was used instead as a normality..If you look in the message archives on JGen that Sue mentioned, there is a lot of discussion about surnames in this sort of situation. I think any possible means would have been used to avoid conscription.

Comment

This just occurred to me - in Russia around 1800, conscription surely wouldn't have depended on consulting a list, it would have consisted of young men being rounded up for military service.

OC

Comment

Yes, agree OC. Also greyingrey, it would depend on where in 'Russia' they were speaking of. In 1825, Czar Nicolas 1 ordered the conscription of Jewish youth in Russia from the age of 12, many were kidnapped. Interesting article here:
                Encyclopedia of Jewish and Israeli history, politics and culture, with biographies, statistics, articles and documents on topics from anti-Semitism to Zionism.

This is a good article as well:
                Last edited by naomiatt; 19-02-11, 04:33.

Comment

Working...
                X