Help! Laptop won't load sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Laptop won't load sites

My daughter's laptop seems to be having a nervous breakdown. It won't display certain sites - it just sits loading forever. For example, Facebook is fine but YouTube isn't. There are more that don't work than do.

Normally she connects through the wireless router at home, which is still working for my PC.

She's tried the laptop on a friend's connection and everything worked fine.

So it looks like the problem might be the connection between her laptop and the router. Does that sound possible? And please does anyone know what we can do to fix it? :(

Hello Lindsay,

Have you look at my thread about Laptop Home Page and it appears that it could be the strength of the signal or hot spot. I find some pages just will not load and have put this down to 3 on this occassion. It is not my laptop so I know very little about them.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thanks for looking, Margaret.

I doubt if it's signal strength, though, because the PC has started to do the same thing, and that's not wireless :(.

Don't you hate it when technology goes wrong?

Comment

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem, I've (partly) managed to resolve this.

The Belkin router needed some changes made to its settings - I spoke to Belkin who talked me through what to do, and my PC works on all websites now.

Only problem is that daughter's laptop now won't connect to the internet at all :( But I'll tackle that one another day...

So the lesson is, consider talking to whoever made the router.

Edited to add - OK, laptop is now working too. Belkin didn't tell me that one of their tweaks had removed the wireless security from my router (and renamed it). Have now set security on, pointed laptop at router, set up encryption and it's all working
        Last edited by Lindsay; 22-02-11, 11:38. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
        X