Alice wood b1879

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice wood b1879

This is my first attempt at starting a thread, so here goes. I am trying to find my Nans half
    sister, Born 1879 Parents Thomas/Drusilla Wood in West Bromwich,Staffordshire. I have found Alice on the 1901 Cencus working in Greenwich as a servant to the Topley family I have been unable to find her on the 1911 Cencus so I presume she married?, but what name to look for, perhaps she appears in someones family.

I would try searching the LMA marriage records on Ancestry between 1901 & 1911. These records have images of the marriage certs so you would be able to check them and see who her Father is. She might have married in London as she was working in Greenwich in 1901. I don't have access to these records at the moment but a search of the index shows several for Alice Wood although the dates are not available to view without a subscription.

If you are in the UK, most libraries have a free version of Ancestry that you could use to do these searches if you do not have a sub yourself.

Comment

Are you sure that she was born in 1879 Hercule? The most likely birth is Oct-Dec 1878 in West Bromwich ref 6b 865.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I had a quick look on the London marriages Hercule but I'm afraid I haven't found one between 1901 and 1911 with a father Thomas. I seem to remember there was one in 1899 but that would be too early as she's Wood in 1901. Of course, I could have missed one.
        I did a free search on 1911 for an Alice, born West Bromwich 1878/1879, but the only one in London is in an institution and no corresponding marriage for an Alice Wood. A lot of the Alices' in 1911 born in West Brom are in West Brom. I wonder if she went back to live locally?
        Have you found her parents etc in 1911?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I had looked on the London Marriage Certificates on Ancestry, and I am sure she is not back with her family on the 1911 Cencus. I did have a quick look on the 1911 Cencus to see if she was still in service with the Topley family but I couldn't find them.

Comment

do you know if she lived? she may have died? does anyone remember anything of her, preferably after 1911?

Comment

Working...
            X