Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got any surname interests in Leicester ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got any surname interests in Leicester ?

I'm trying to decipher the surname of a witness at a wedding in Leicester in 1814. It looks like Bollo (or possibly a or even e) ???? ( 2 or 3 or 4letters I can't make out) s. (I will try & post a photo of it when a friend has showed me how. Has anyone come across a surname that might approximate to this please, or could you suggest a way of finding her (I've got her first name) ?

PS....I know you can make a norty word out of this (Chrissie).....maybe she just had a good sense of fun

Comment

Try putting her name in family search as they bring up soundex names as well. Or just put the surname in and the area and see what happens.

Also try googling the name as you never know.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Have you tried FreeReg? A lot of BMDs have been added for Leicester.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have loads of people in Leicester, but I haven't come across a name similar to Bollo. The nearest I have is Balle, but that was in the 16th c, and later became Bale. Nothing beginning with B*ll* that comes to mind, unless it's Bellows. Anyway, if you can post a scan of the marriage entry, with a bit of luck we can decipher it.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-02-11, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
            PS....I know you can make a norty word out of this (Chrissie).....maybe she just had a good sense of fun
            Oh dear, I've just noticed my name - am I getting a reputation for being naughty :D
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

A photo of the bit with the witnesses name on could be useful Grey. Maybe a different first letter etc?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

A reputation, Chrissie ??? As if !!!

I'll post a photo when my friend has showed me how to do it (2 children with tonsilitis at the moment)

Don't suppose it would make any difference, but it might be a name from Northants, as that's where the bride was originally from

Comment

I've tried looking to see if the bride had a married sister who might have had this surname, but I can't find anything....all impatient now till I can post the photo...

Comment

If you already have the photo on your computer, the posting instructions are here:

Comment

Thanks, Mary.....I haven't got it on my computer, but I hope to have soon (probably catch tonsilitis from my friend's sprogs)

Comment

Working...
                      X