south australia shipping list help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• south australia shipping list help

i've recently found some emmigration information on my 4th great grandmother, frederika wilhelmine elisabeth eisfelder. the info i have states she arrived on the "wandrahm" on 13 mar 1862, in port adelaide. i have googled till my eyes are sore, but i cannot find the passenger lists for that year. i have found the ones in 1854, and the ship was in moreton bay in 1867. it also made repeated trips from hamburg to south africa throughout the 1850'-1870's. im hoping the ships list will tell me where she was from, as everyone has "klaudelen/klaundelen", but no one knows where it is or where the info came from. maybe it is listed in the passenger list?

Shipping record is on TROVE

Her place of birth may also be on her death certificate- in VIC
    Surname: GEBERT
    Given Names: Frederica Wmina Elizth
    Event: D
    Sex:
    Spouse Surname/Father: Eistelder
    Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN
    Age Code:
    Birth Place:
    Death Place: Jeparit
    Year: 1917
    Reg. Number: 5280

Cheers
    Kerri

Klaundelen is in Prussia
    Last edited by Kerri from Aus; 15-02-11, 11:52.

Comment

There will only be some kind of record of her birthplace or "native place" if she came as an assisted migrant. If she was a full-fare paying passenger few records were kept. Her death certificate (or maybe an obituary in the local paper) may give her birthplace if the person registering the death knew. Sometimes local papers ran stories on locals who have died, and sometimes they are very detailed and useful.

If she was an assisted migrant you would have to see records are held by SA State Archives. I think you would need to go and look at them in person.

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

i have the death cert thanx kerri, it just says 'germany'. hmmm, how frustrating diane. well i don't know about her paying full fare, there is an article on trove in 1862/3 about a minna eisfelder, who stole some items from the tanunda hotel, spent a month in jail!! she was known as minna, and signed her marriage minna, so i wonder if it's her!

also, her father is supposed to have come here, i cant find anything to prove it, but if he was here already, he may have been able to bring her here.

Comment

If she was sentenced and spent time in gaol there should be some court and gaol records - the SA State Records should have them, suppose you would have to go to Adelaide to access them. Probably won't tell you about her father, but you might get an address then you could look through the trade directories etc and see who shows up at that address.
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

thats a good point diane. if i can locate the court records it may give some information, at least it might be able to help see if she is mine.

hi kerri, ive found the artticle. i think she and the thief are the same person, and probably mine. her life prior to marriage in 1866 seems quite shady, so i wouldnt be surprised if thats when she cleaned up her act.

Comment

Working...
            X