Help with Union Workhouse Barnet please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Union Workhouse Barnet please

I have just got a relatives death cert from 1899 and found he died in the Workhouse Infirmary Barnet.I can`t understand it as he was employed and had a family who seem to be quite well off.
    Does anyone know if ordinary people were admitted there to die ? I can`t find anything about it on any other websites.

Thanks

It's quite likely that it was the only local form of hospital. OH's great granny died in one, she had been nursed at home but had to go to the infirmary when she took a turn for the worse.

Comment

Poor Law Infirmaries very slowly became the local hospital. There are some hospitals which still have the old workhouse buildings in use today. It may well be that your ancestor never had access to any other hospital in the area or was prohibited by cost of the treatment. See this very lengthy article as background.

and this page on the history of Hackney Hospital

Edit: In fact it looks they were lucky enough to be placed in a newly built hospital.
      "In 1895 an infirmary was added to the Workhouse, which was extended during World War One, to look after wounded soldiers. "
      If you entered a web address please check it was correct. You can also search barnet.gov.uk or browse from the homepage to find the information you need. It could be a temporary problem or may have been removed as part of our recent web re-design. 

have you seen this page?
      Last edited by keldon; 14-02-11, 15:09.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Yes,thank you both,I suspected as much.He was buried in Highgate cemetery so he obviously wasn`t that poor !

Comment

I actually worked in the old Barnet Workhouse buildings. They became Barnet General Hosptial. The buildings housed the computer section and later the finance department.

At one time I was responsible for medical records and I vaguely remember that some old attics were cleared out and there were quite a few bound volumes of admission and discharge registers that were found. At that time I had not started my family history research but my old bosses mother was doing hers. This was back in the early 1990s, or even earlier than that, so there was no such thing as the internet for genealogy research. However, because my boss realised the value of those registers they were deposited in an archive somewhere. It might have been the records office but I'm not sure. However, I do have a friend who might have more recollection of where they went. If you would like me to ask her, I will. You never know, they may have details that could be interesting to you.

Comment

My elder daughter was born in Luton Workhouse which by then, by an odd juxtaposition, housed the maternity and geriatric parts of Luton & Dunstable Hospital. By the time my younger daughter was born, the new maternity unit on the main site had opened.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The other thing about the infirmaries is that they were often sponsored or supported by various wealthy individuals or employers. You could "buy a bed" in an infirmary, or part of a bed, lol. As late as the 1960s, my employer had two sponsored beds in what had been the local infirmary but was now the county hospital.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                I actually worked in the old Barnet Workhouse buildings. They became Barnet General Hosptial. The buildings housed the computer section and later the finance department.

At one time I was responsible for medical records and I vaguely remember that some old attics were cleared out and there were quite a few bound volumes of admission and discharge registers that were found. At that time I had not started my family history research but my old bosses mother was doing hers. This was back in the early 1990s, or even earlier than that, so there was no such thing as the internet for genealogy research. However, because my boss realised the value of those registers they were deposited in an archive somewhere. It might have been the records office but I'm not sure. However, I do have a friend who might have more recollection of where they went. If you would like me to ask her, I will. You never know, they may have details that could be interesting to you.

That would be great Pat ! Thanks.His name was Samuel Swan Wheeler,so quite unusual name.If you could find out the whereabouts of the records,it would be most helpful.

Comment

Tried my friend last night but she was out. Will have another go this evening and will report back on what she remembers.

Comment

Thanks Pat,my internet access has been sporadic due to changing my server but I am back now hopefully.
                    If you could find out anything I would be most grateful !

Comment

Hi Lyn

Finally managed to track down my friend, she had been visiting the Hertfordshire Archives. It seems I have had a senior moment as the registers that were found were for Edgware General Hospital, not Barnet. We worked for both at the time but I was based at Barnet so I think that's where I got mixed up.

Anyway, she is doing research in the Hertfordhire area and suggests you might like to try the Herts Archive website (HALS) here:
                      Welcome to Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more about the council and the services we provide.

She highly recommends it and says the people working there are very helpful. You can use an online search facility which is on the top right hand side of their home page. This is called something like Hertfordshire names online. It might give you more information about what records they hold.

My friend also suggested that Barnet Museum might have some of the old workhouse records as she vaguely remembers sending things to them and also the National Archives.

I hope this is not too disappointing for you and that you can find something of use to you on the HALS website.

Comment

Thanks anyway Pat,I will do as you suggested,you never know what may turn up.

Comment

Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, County Hall, Pegs Lane, Hertford SG13 8DE. Holdings include Guardians' minute books (1835-1930); Register of paupers placed in service (1836-79); Master's reports (1836-8, 1852-63); etc.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-02-11, 08:20.

Comment

Thanks Mary

Comment

Working...
                            X