Durham County Records / St Hilda's South Shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Durham County Records / St Hilda's South Shields

I have tracked the marriage of Arthur Stephenson / Alice Lax (nee Alice Todd) to St Hilda's South Shields on 26/06/1803. I have been able to get Alice back another generation, but am struggling with getting Arthur back beyond this point. Certificates are not in the budget! If anyone would be available to check his age / parents it would be very much appreciated.;)

Not sure if you'll get that info in 1803 as it's pre statutory records and you might only get their names, "full age" and "of this parish"

You can always contact Tyne & Wear Archives and ask what info is likely to be found for that church and timeline.

You know the date of marriage and could ask for a copy of the parish record - they charge £5. (unless its gone up) and post it to you.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

According to his son's baptism Arthur Stephenson was a native of South Shields, as was Alice. The entry reads

Roger Todd, born 14 Oct 1803 bapt 26 Feb 1804 1st son of Arthur Stephenson, blacksmith, native of this place, by his wife Alice Lax, native of this place

This is from the Durham Bishops' Transcripts on the new familysearch website. Their marriage should be there too tho i'm struggling to find the images for 1803 marriages.

There's a baptism on the IGI of Arthur Stephenson parents Bartholomew & Ann in 1788 at South Shields, tho he'd be a little young to be getting married in 1803.

Last edited by JayG; 15-02-11, 14:25.
      Jay

Comment

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate the effort your are taking. We have been totally stumped by this - Alice Todd married John Lax in 1796 at St Hilda's and they had two children (John 17/9/1798) and Ann (2/6/1800) and then she married Arthur at St Hilda's in 1803, but I have been unable to find a death for John Lax. My research also showed the birth in 1788 and the names that are carried on in the line I am following (Arthur's son Arthur etc) also shows the use of Bartholomew/ Ann / Arthur - so I'm guessing it is a distinct possibility that we have the right family and that he may have lied about his age - but if he is described as a 'native' of South Shields, then I would assume that the rector and parishioners would know his age when banns were read. The plot thickens!!

Comment

Thanks JayG for the link to the images - I hadn't found that before. I also couldn't find images for 1803 marriages, or 1810 baptisms (Jan- Mar) - the two that would really really help. I did find images for the marriage of Alice to John Laxx in 1896 and baptism for Roger (1804) and burial for baby Alice in 1806. It has been good to verify some of my research, but frustrating in that 2 essentials are missing!

Comment

Was the 1810 baptism at South Shields?

Some of the earlier transcripts run April to March so the Jan to March 1810 might be in with April to Dec 1809. As the transcripts are usually baptisms, marriages then burials you might of missed the pages that cover the start of 1810 at the end of 1809. I've done this when looking at other parishes & then had to go back over to double check!
            Jay

Comment

Eden,
              Have just joined this forum, and noticed your comments about Arther Stephenson.I am doing research on and he is my great,great,great grandfather.I have just some information from Durham records on the family. They have found that his grandfather was possibly married in Milburn in Westmorland. his name is Richard Stephenson and married Elinor Jackson.Anymore information you can get would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X