Record Office Exeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Record Office Exeter

I am willing to do any look ups you may have, after the 21st Feb(they are closed til then). I will try to do as much as I can before they bring in their reduced staff / hours strategy!!

sunny rosy

Hi Rosy,
    Thanks so much for this.

I am looking for the death of Bessie / Bessy Alma HODGE (nee BREWER). She was born in Teignmouth in 1864.
    She married William HODGE in 1882. William died in 1912.

I have them both on the 1911 Census, living with daughters Jessie Elizabeth and Ladysmith Irene, at 9 Worleigh Avenue (not sure if the next word is IVYHAM, as its hard to read) Devonport.
    I have had several wrong certs looking for Bessie, so fingers crossed!!

best wishes
    Sue

Life must be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward.

Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Hi Sue.
      I have just been looking on Ancestry, there is a marriage for a Bessie A Hodge to Frederick T Joines in Devonport, Plymouth in 1915. Frederick died aged 65 in Plymouth Mar Qtr 1950 7a 765. Bessie A Joines died aged 86 in 1965 Mar Qtr 7a 753 . So I will check the marriage and the deaths for you. Could it be Keyham on the 1911 as that is a district of Plymouth.

love sunny

Comment

Hi Sue I have pm'd you after my visit to the RO yesterday.

sunny rosy

Comment

Hi Rosy, many thanks for the offer, not sure how the RO works re area but I've looked 'til I'm cross eyed for the birth of Annie Marina Price c1857 Plymouth, mother Mary Ann Bennall, =surname various spellings... father's forename also varies, Edwin/Edward Price... Have certs for her younger brothers Alonzo William Charles Price b.1859, New st., Plymouth & Edward Albert Bennall Price, b.1862, Lucknow Place Plym......

Hope you can help :-)

xx
          Last edited by olga_b; 11-03-11, 01:17.
          Olga

Comment

Hi Olga Have you got her on any census? Have you a marriage qtr for Edwin and Mary Ann? I have found the family on the 1861 including a sister Adelaide born in Scarborough ! two years before Annie Marina ,but can't find them after that. Annie's marriage to Wm Henry Tanner 1877 Plymouth . Will be going to the RO again next Wednesday, will do what I can.

rosy

Comment

Hi Sunny,
              Many thanks for your look up.

I searched for a marriage as you suggested for Bessie Alma Hodge (Brewer) and strangely found two for the same year, same quarter and same place!!

The first was to Samuel Rolstone which rang a bell. He was on the 1911 Census as a boarder with Bessie and her husband. They all worked for GWR.

Frederick Joines I found as you suggested, on Free BMD marrying Bessie Alma Hodge!!!
              Perhaps she was a bigamist,lol.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and sent for the marriage cert. It arrived today and it is definitely my Bessie, marrying Samuel Rolstone on 26th June 1915.

All I can think of re the Frederick Joines marriage, if it is not a terrible error, then perhaps Bessie married Frederick in April, he died and she married Samuel in June!!

Many thanks again for your help.
              Sue x

Life must be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward.

Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

Hi, Sunny -
                I'm looking for parish records/baptisms, probably from Crediton and Honiton, possibly Ottery St Mary. The two most important ones are from Crediton. Are you still looking up Devon records?

Thanks
                Sarah

Comment

Hi Olga. Sorry I have had the most horrendous 'barking' cough this week so haven't been out to the Records Office, will go next week.

Comment

Sarah. I will be going out to RO next week, tell me the names and dates for those people you want me to look up.

regards Rosy

Comment

Hi, Sunny -
                      I sent a PM with the details.

Thanks for your willingness to help
                      Sarah

Comment

You're welcome.

sunny

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
                          Hi Olga. Sorry I have had the most horrendous 'barking' cough this week so haven't been out to the Records Office, will go next week.
                          Absolutely no problem Rosy...... Just glad that you have offered to have a look.... Hope you're feeling better.... & purring now instead of barking ;-)
                          Olga

Comment

Thanks for all your help, Rosy

Sarah

Comment

Hi Olga I have been unable to find anything, I understand that Plymouth still keep some of their records at Plymouth RO. They would do a look up for you, but of course it would involve cost. There may be someone in Plymouth on FTF that would have a look for you.

rosy

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
                                Hi Olga I have been unable to find anything, I understand that Plymouth still keep some of their records at Plymouth RO. They would do a look up for you, but of course it would involve cost. There may be someone in Plymouth on FTF that would have a look for you.

rosy
                                Many thanks for your time rosy, much appreciated, it was worth a shot... I think you're right & I should contact the Plymouth RO. Thank you very much again.....
                                Olga

Comment

Hi Rosy,

Not sure if you are likely to be in the R O at any time in the near future but if you should find yourself there, I wonder if you could have a look for the following individual:- William Rendle (or similar) b c 1774 Manaton.

In a settlement examination of 1808 he stated he was born in Manaton and then moved to Widecombe. In 1851 his pob was again given as Manaton, his age is shown as 77. His known children were named John and Sarah, which unfortunately are not very distinctive.

Any clues or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

Comment

Hi Vic only just checked this, will be going out this week to the RO. Will certainly investigate for you.

sunny Rosy

Comment

Hi Vic. Here you are.

William son of John and Sarah RENNELL baptized on 29/10/1773 at Manaton, Devon
                                      Jinny daughter of John and Sarah RENNELL baptized 12/7/1775 at Manaton.
                                      Susanna daughter of John and Sarah RENNELL baptized 28/4/1777 Manaton
                                      George son of John and Sarah RENNELL baptized 25/12/1777 Manaton.

I looked for a marriage for John and Sarah but was unable to find one, maybe they married in another parish. I also looked for a birth for John but didn't find anything in Manaton.

regards sunny

Comment

Many, many thanks, Rosy, That is so much more than I dared hope for. In truth, I don't think I was expecting anything very much.

All good wishes,

Vic

Comment

Working...
                                        X