Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for two births if anyone can offer a hand!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for two births if anyone can offer a hand!

Hi there, (again),

I did tell you I'd be using your brains.

I'm looking for births of the following individuals.. (The names are links to them on my TP tree!)

Dorothy DAVIDSON born around 1891, Wolverhampton Staffs
    Tom DAVIDSON born around 1895, Small Heath Staffs

I can't seem to find them so maybe I am missing something!

Beth

have you tried looking for a Thomas instead of Tom ?

Comment

Do you know where Small Heath is?
      The only one I can find using Google maps is Birmingham.

On your tree you have Tom Davidson born 1895 Small Heath, Staffordshire,
      - but you also have the 1911 census showing his place of birth as Small Heath, Birmingham - which would be Warwickshire.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Do you know where Small Heath is?
        The only one I can find using Google maps is Birmingham.

On your tree you have Tom Davidson born 1895 Small Heath, Staffordshire,
        - but you also have the 1911 census showing his place of birth as Small Heath, Birmingham - which would be Warwickshire.
        That's what has confused me.. I'm assuming that Small Heath is Birmingham.. But the original 1901 census definitely says Small Heath, Staffs.
        That's part of the reason I'm looking for a birth to clear up that little nagging feeling I have...

The only birth I can find with a Tom/Thomas in it is a Harold Thomas DAVINSON born Dec 1894 in Birmingham Warwickshire. :s

Beth

Comment

Didn't Small Heath (and other villages around there) "move" around as Birmingham grew? I think places which started as villages in Staffordshire or Warwickshire, became part of Birmingham as it expanded and absorbed them.

scuda
          Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Thanks for that. I've come across a lot of small villages "moving" between counties throughout the 19th century. Maybe this happened between 1901 & 1911 or the 1901 enumerator wasn't familiar with the change. :s..

Still doesn't explain the lack of a birth... Unless Harold Thomas Davinson is supposed to be Harold Thomas Davidson!

((EDIT)) He isn't because I've just found him on the 1901 census with his parents!
            Last edited by FamilyHistoryStories; 12-02-11, 10:31. Reason: new info

Comment

Along the same note then, can any tell me what registration district I should be looking for in 1894/96 for Small Heath?

I've so far come up with Aston, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by FamilyHistoryStories View Post
                That's what has confused me.. I'm assuming that Small Heath is Birmingham.. But the original 1901 census definitely says Small Heath, Staffs.
                Actually it doesn't! If you look at the image of the 1901 census his place of birth is just given as Small Heath. There is no "ditto" coming down from the Staffordshire listings above it, and in the right hand margin it looks as if the enumerator has added Warw. (Warwickshire)
                Elaine

Comment

Along the same note then, can any tell me what registration district I should be looking for in 1894/96 for Small Heath?

I've so far come up with Aston, Kings Norton, Birmingham.
                  Looking at Small Heath on google maps, and then trying to match up the road names in the 1901 census, I think it was probably in the Deritend subdistrict, Aston registration district.
                  Elaine

Comment

Looking at your tree I see that James Davidson seems to have been married twice, initially to Kate (shown as mother of Dorothy) and then to Elizabeth (shown as mother of Tom).
                    Do you know when (or if) Kate died because looking at the census I can't see how you can be sure that Elizabeth is Tom's mother. She may well be - Tom may be from a previous marriage of Elizabeth, or even illegitimate. I think if you sort the wives out then it might help sort out the children as well.
                    Elaine

Comment

Actually it doesn't! If you look at the image of the 1901 census his place of birth is just given as Small Heath. There is no "ditto" coming down from the Staffordshire listings above it, and in the right hand margin it looks as if the enumerator has added Warw. (Warwickshire)
                      OMG! Now I feel like an idiot! I've looked at that sheet so many times and kept seeing the same thing.. I wonder how many more mistakes I've made! :(

Comment

Looking at your tree I see that James Davidson seems to have been married twice, initially to Kate (shown as mother of Dorothy) and then to Elizabeth (shown as mother of Tom).
                        Do you know when (or if) Kate died because looking at the census I can't see how you can be sure that Elizabeth is Tom's mother. She may well be - Tom may be from a previous marriage of Elizabeth, or even illegitimate. I think if you sort the wives out then it might help sort out the children as well.
                        According to the 1911 census James and Elizabeth had been married 18 years (putting the marriage around 1893). And the marriage had produced 10 children with 9 still living. (I'm assuming the one who died was born between 1900 and 1905 because that is the largest age gap.)

The Wallace Henry who was born 1886 is the oldest child (that I am aware) and I'm waiting on his birth cert to find out who Kate actually was, in order to find the marriage of Kate and James. (I think she may actually have been a catherine/catharine).
                        Hopefully I'll then be able to pin down Kate's death.. Possibly in Staffs/Worcs/War/Northants.

The Davidson's appear to be a very confusing lot..

Once I've sorted out James and Kate... I'll move on to confirming James and Elizabeth and like you said the kids should sort themselves then..

Thank you so much for all your help and advice Elaine.. I've never been so confused in 4 years. lol..

Comment

OMG! Now I feel like an idiot! I've looked at that sheet so many times and kept seeing the same thing..
                          Don't worry - I am sure we have all done the same at some time.
                          Elaine

Comment

I'm really relieved you pointed it out for me though! Thank you! :D

Comment

Yes I agree Small Heath is likely to be under Aston Warwickshire.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks!

I'll have a look there!

Comment

Beth,

what we now know as Birmingham is actually made up of several counties.. it has sprawled abit.

this link shows you the Warwickshire county and it might help.

and this one shows you parishes IN Birmingham

Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-02-11, 22:15.
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                  X