stuck!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck!!

Hi there, was wondering if anyone has any advice on finding my grandads sister 'Alice W*** (was S********)! i've gone on genes reunited e.t.c and no joy! its not like its a family member thats way in the past, and yet she just seems to hav vanished off the plannet!! everything i've tried has drawn a blank, and so now im stuck!!! we think she may hav gone to australia but where abouts we dont know? so how do i start to look at that area? if i hav no info? i just need someone to point me in the right direction as im new at this and just not sure where to look next! any help will be much appreciated;D
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-02-11, 14:41. Reason: possible living name

Welcome to FTF, karacola!

Sorry to mangle your first post, but FTF is very careful to protect privacy by avoiding the posting of details of living people (see the T&C). If you have evidence that Alice is no longer alive, then you can edit the name back.

If she could be alive, then members can contact you by PM (Personal Message), by clicking on your name, to ask for specific information. General ideas can be suggested on the open board.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

oh ok, thank you for advice

karacola

Comment

Can you give us some idea of her year of birth. Presumably you know she was married with the name change? Do you know the year of marriage? Maybe she could have married again and have yet another name.

Anne

Comment

hi there, yes she was born in 1926 and was married in june 1947,as far as i know she didn't re-marry??

Comment

Roughly when do you think she may have gone to Australia?

Comment

I have sent you a private message for further details. Look at the Notifications at the top of the page.
              Margaret

Comment

If you goog;le passenger lists for Australia you should get date and place of departure ship name and destination

Comment

There's no obvious trace up to 1960 of a migration for that name. (I've remembered what I edited, so I am reasonably confident about that.)

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Karacola has found a couple of possibilities on 192.com and is going to get intouch to see if either is the person she is seeking.
                    Margaret

Comment

thanks everybody for ur advice much appreciated!! and christine so ur saying there doesn't appear to be anyone that migrated in 1960ish of that name???

Comment

thank you for that but unfortunately i dont know any info!! ship, date, e.t.c as my mum just remembers something being said about them going to australia! and seeing that we cant seem to find them here we think maybe they did go!!???

Comment

Originally posted by karacola View Post
                          thanks everybody for ur advice much appreciated!! and christine so ur saying there doesn't appear to be anyone that migrated in 1960ish of that name???
                          I mean that I couldn't see anything likely in names of passengers up until the end of 1960. From 1961, onward, they may have gone. Have you looked at the Australian NAtional Archives? They have an increasing amount of info - much of it indexed for names - including immigration records. Also There's some incoming passenger info for specific states... NSW, Victoria and Queensland, possibly. (I have links, but have an appointment this morning, so can't stop to look for them. Might be worth a ramble in teh FTF Reference Library?)

Christine

Comment

Ahh thank you christine, will def hav a look into that see wot i can dig up!! :-)

karacola

Comment

Did you not have any luck with the two you found on 192.com?
                              Margaret

Comment

Here are a few likely links:

Sydney is a vibrant city and it has an ancient heartbeat. Discover the rich, vivid history of Sydney from early Aboriginal life through to the modern global city.

Connecting Queenslander's with their past—the histories of families, local communities and the state. Significant records of government are available and accessible.

You can access State Library collections online for free. Plan your visit here and discover what's on at Brisbane's largest research library. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and their continuing connection to land.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                X