Home page - laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home page - laptop

I have set up a friends Acer Laptop and at the present time use Google as the Home Page. However, he has a Yahoo email address and insists that he has the Yahoo Home Page. I have no trouble getting it up on my PC at home.
    I cannot get this page to load on to the laptop the geen indicator on the task bar stops about a quarter of the way through. Have I missed something that should a have check mark?
    He has Norton on the laptop and also uses a 3-Dongle pay as you go for his connection. He has only put £10 on it which I think will only be valid for one month and possibly only 1GB.
    Do some pages take longer to load than others or could it be a weak signal? I noticed that 3 are keen to offer a home page so maybe this is a conflict of interests.
    Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Margaret N; 10-02-11, 21:13.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

I was told of my comp lad who took of my yahoo homepage and replaced with google that Yahoo is very heavy to run so that maybe something to do with it
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

I have a few yahoo email adresses Margaret but only ever use yahoo for my emails and dont have it set as my home page ,its quite easy to add a link on your google toolbar to your yahoo home page .

Comment

Hello All,
        Pleased to have brought this thread to life as it does not appeared to have been used since the end of January. That must mean that you are all very clever and that I am lagging behind.

Babs, I think that it is the adverts that are causing the problem.

Val, How do I put the Yahoo Mail link onto his home page?
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I installed the Google Toolbar there is a Blue Cross which you click on and add whatever Buttons you want ,so I can go to Yahoo mail without using it as my home page .

Comment

Val,

Many thanks I have put Google Home Page on and the blue envelope you mentioned appeared and I was able to sort it all.
            Last edited by Margaret N; 11-02-11, 21:08. Reason: Advice of sucess
            Margaret N

Comment

Everyone to his/her own, I suppose. It's called Freedom to choose!

For adverts, they can be blocked - Firefox has an add-on called adblock plus.
              Why not have as a home page something which loads quickly (I have a forum home page) and have Yahoo, Google etc as bookmarks?
              Firefox offers an editable (I think) list of search engines and you can choose any of them as the top of the list. For this one, searching is done by typing in the criteria in the box and then one click. Using a different one would need two.
              The email address is surely quite separate. I almost never go to my email provider's home page.

Comment

Hello Colin,

I don't think that I have ever gone to my ISP home page as I use google as it has no adverts.

The problem with the laptop that I have been helping a friend with is that he cannot (will not) understand that it is not like switching a light on and there is the light. He cannot wait a moment so it makes it difficult and I have not had a chance to take a serious look at his laptop to see what is what. He had a PC before for a while and disposed of it as he could not get it to work. He has had this laptop since February 2010 and tells me that it is 'New' and unused.

Being selfish, as I use google and understand it I have put that on for him and I do not plan to change it or he will be even more upset. At one time he wanted to take the laptop back to PCW as he thought it didn't work for the reasons that I mentioned above. Having got him started he will now have to get on with it as using the machine is part of the secrect of success.

I may try Firefox one day on this PC. Thank you for your response.
                Last edited by Margaret N; 07-03-11, 20:15.
                Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                X