Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have access to the Scottish BMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have access to the Scottish BMD?

I'm trying to trace a birth between 1857-1861 in Keith, Banffshire(?). Sorry if the spelling etc is off I'm not familiar with Scotland AT ALL!

Are there any free resources or are they all PPV.. I'm not on Ancestry anymore so can't check there.

Thanks

Beth

Have you tried familysearch? It has quite a few Scottish births on there.

If not, you will have to use SP, which is indeed ppv, but very reasonable and instant view of certs, which have far more information on them than English ones. worth every penny!

Give us a name if you like.

OC

Comment

Beth if you give me a name I will have a look on Scotlands People

Steven

Comment

Correction to OC (tee hee!). What you get on SP is the image of the register page, which is even better than a certificate. And if you are lucky enough to have an event registered in 1855, the first year of civil registration in Scotland, you'll get a double page spread of information. For births you'll usually get the marriage date and place as well, and for marriages the names of all 4 parents including "maiden surnames" (MS) for the mothers.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
          Beth if you give me a name I will have a look on Scotlands People

Steven
          Oooh thank you! :D

I'm looking for James Davidson. I have no idea on his parent's names sorry!

Comment

Beth

there are at least four born in that time period. Can you define your man? What was his first son called? Who did he marry? You may have to get his marriage cert to find his father's name.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Beth

there are at least four born in that time period. Can you define your man? What was his first son called? Who did he marry? You may have to get his marriage cert to find his father's name.

OC
              I'll just go and have a gander at the marriages a moment... I know there are at least 2!

Comment

Just a thought, perhaps for later. Scottish wills up to 1901 are free to search on SP, and there's usually quite a bit of information in the free summary.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Same here found 4 on Scotlands People if you have a parents name I could have a look at the images

Steven

Comment

Stevie

Don't use credits on SP yet - I found these four on familysearch!

OC

Comment

I can't locate any marriages! :(

Here's James in 1891/1901/1911!

83 Broad Street, Bilston, Staffordshire
                      James Davidson, Head, 34, Tailor’s Cutter Out, Scotland
                      Kate Davidson, Wife, 29, Leicester Leicestershire
                      Wallace H Davidson, Son, 4, Leicester Leicestershire
                      Stuart J Davidson, Son, 2, Longton Staffordshire

14 Knox Road, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire
                      James Davison, Head, 41, Tailor, Employer, Scotland Keith Banf
                      Eliz Davison, Wife, 28, Chard Devon
                      Wallace Davison, Son, 14, Tailor Apprentice, Leicester
                      James Davison, Son, 12, Errand Boy, Longton Staffordshire
                      Maggie Davison, Daughter, 10, Bilston Staffordshire
                      Dorothy Davison, Daughter, 9, Wolverhampton Staffordshire
                      Tom Davison, Son, 6, Small Heath Staffordshire
                      Donald Davison, Son, 5, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Olga Davison, Daughter, 3, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Mildred Davison, Daughter, 2, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Nellie Davison, Daughter, 6 months, Wellingborough Northamptonshire

5 Herbert Street, Newport, Monmouthshire

James Davidson, Head, 52, Married 18 years, Tailor, At home, Keith Scotland
                      Elizabeth Davidson, Wife, 39, Yarcombe Somerset,
                      Maggie Davidson, Daughter, 19, Servant Domestic, Bilston Staffordshire
                      Tom Davidson, Son, 16, Baker, Small Heath Birmingham
                      Donald Davidson, Son, 15, Errand Boy, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Olga Davidson, Daughter, 13, Scholar, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Mildred Davidson, Daughter, 12, Scholar, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Nellie Davidson, Daughter, 10, Scholar, Wellingborough Northamptonshire
                      Enid Davidson, Daughter, 6, Scholar, Newport Monmouthshire
                      Alan Davidson, Son, 4, Newport Monmouthshire
                      Vernon Davidson, Son, 2, Newport Monmouthshire
                      May Davidson, Daughter, 11 months, Newport Monmouthshire
                      So I can safely say he married twice.. and had lots and lots of children.
                      They also seemed to have moved around a great deal...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Stevie

Don't use credits on SP yet - I found these four on familysearch!

OC
                        Which four are those? Any chance you could post some links please?

I did find a few but familysearch loses me a little!

Comment

James Davidson born to
                          William Davidson and Jan Burnett
                          John Davidson and Jessie Duncan
                          Alexander Davidson and Isobel Watson
                          James Davidson and Marjory Reid.

No naming pattern clues there then!

I don't have access to Ancestry anymore, sorry, but I think you need to find him in 81, 71 and 61 with parents.

(Incidentally, if his parents are James and Marjory, then you and I may be related, lol)

OC

Comment

Well, you'd be related to the other half..

The Davidson's (like the Evans' and Jones') are confusing.. Leaving your wife and child and running off with the neighbours daughter who just so happens to be 18 years your senior. And having 7 children with the neighbours daughter... tut tut... lol.. It's fun though!

Comment

Possible marriage of James to Kate BOWN in Leicester R D. in Dec Q.1885....?

Comment

Yes, I saw that one as well, Gwyn. Still think it's worth a try to see if he can be spotted with his parents pre 1891.

OC

Comment

I've tried the pre 1891 route and there are quite a few James Davidson's born around the same time in Scotland (in England!) lol

Comment

What exactly is a draper?

I've found this one in Cumberland.

James Davidson, Boarder, 21, Draper (apprentice), Scotland.

Also in the same household there is:

John Davidson, Boarder, 18, Draper (apprentice), Scotland!

Comment

Tailor and draper are two completely different trades, although both concerned with clothing. I wouldn't have thought that a draper could get away with pretending to be a tailor, but who knows.

Probably the simplest thing to do now is to get his marriage cert to Kate Bown. That will tell you the name of his father.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC...

I have absolutely no idea on the different trades.. Unless of course it's related to mining (I've got a living, breathing mining history book in my father).

I'll order the cert once my bank balance looks a little healthier after pay day!

Comment

Working...
                                        X