Where to find parish registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find parish registers

I am another new comer and have exhausted all online searches for the earliest ancestors I've found and have come to the conclusion that I will need to locate parish registers to get any further forward.

I am particularly looking for baptisms in 1790 in Leytonstone, 1796 in Little Burstead and 1823 in Billericay, all in Essex. In addition I'd like to look for a marriage in the same area between the years I've mentioned.

I think those for Leytonstone could be at Vestry House Museum, Walthamstow but haven't a clue where the others will be. I also think that Billericay came under Great Burstead parish at the time in question but having looked at the Seax site which lists the registers held at the Essex Record Office, these places/dates are not among them.

Can anyone throw any light where the relevant registers are and how I should go about looking at them please? For example can I just visit, make appointment, enlist help from staff to find what I am after? Sorry for being a block head but I haven't got this far before.

No worries, Welcome to the forum Jan :smilee:

have you checked out www.familysearch.org

they have lots of parish records online and are adding more daily.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

If you're living in London you could start here http://www.londonfhc.org/ they have all the parish registers

Comment

Have a look at this site for baptisms & this site for marriages

Moggie

Comment

Might be worthwhile looking at the county pages in our Reference Library.
          Click on Reference Library on the navigation bar at the top of the screen, then select BRITISH ISLES INDEX ---> ENGLAND
          You will then see a list of counties - click on ESSEX and see what is available.
          Elaine

Comment

You are indeed by correct in saying that Billericay was in Great Burstead. It was known as a chapelry.

The parish registers for Great Burstead are at the Essex Record Office. I hope this link works for you.

Unfortunately for the period you are talking about, digital online images are not available. Therefore, you will have to ask someone to visit the Record Office and look it up for you, or attend yourself. Or there may be someone with the parish registers on disc. Post an appeal on the Research Requests section of this forum, you may be lucky.

Little Burstead is also there and the same applies.

This may also help (sorry, self-promotion).

Originally posted by Jan Booth View Post
            Can anyone throw any light where the relevant registers are and how I should go about looking at them please? For example can I just visit, make appointment, enlist help from staff to find what I am after? Sorry for being a block head but I haven't got this far before.
            The staff at the Record Office are very helpful and they will show you how to select the correct microfilm and how to work the machine. There's always other fellow researchers who will help you with the strange handwriting, etc.

This will help as well. You'll need to take I.D. to obtain a reader's ticket.
            Last edited by keldon; 10-02-11, 16:06. Reason: ero details
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

My local library keeps its own copy of parish registers on film x x x
              Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Jan.

I don't know where you are situated, but if you get to the stage where you want gravestone photos for example, I live in the area and am more than happy to do those for Billericay, the Bursteads and nearby places. (Unfortunately I don't visit Essex Records Office as all my family are elsewhere)

There are photos of the local churches in this forum's Places of Worship project. I have higher resolution ones available should you want them

Keldon - just been looking at your Billericay page and wanted to congratulate you on it
                Jackie

Comment

Thanks for the detailed info Keldon and pointing me in the right direction.

I think I actually got the fact that Billericay came under Great Burstead from historyhouse! Great source of info but hadn't quite got to grips with seax.

I may need to enlist help in getting to Chelmsford as I live on the south coast. Central London would have been a day trip. Others have however offered advice on this so hopefully it won't mean an arduous exercise.

Thanks again.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                    http://sturnidae.com/Essex/BapIndex.htm
                    Have a look at this site for baptisms & this site for marriages

Moggie
                    Thanks will give that a whirl

Jan

Comment

Do you live near a LDS Family History Centre? To find out, visit familysearch.org

From that site, you will be able to see where your nearest FHC is located. There is also a library catalogue on that site where you can search to see if a film of the registers you want are held by the LDS. These can then be ordered online and viewed at the FHS of your choice. If you find they have copies of the ones you need and need further advice on how to order them, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                        Keldon - just been looking at your Billericay page and wanted to congratulate you on it
                        Thank you!
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk
                        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
                        X