Particularly defining names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Particularly defining names?

In time or space? Do you have any of these in your trees? I've just discovered a first cousin 2x removed born on 27th Feb 1916 called Verdun. The Battle of Verdun started a week earlier on 21st Feb apparently. A quick interrogation on freebmd shows nearly a thousand Verduns, Sommes and Ypres born between 1914-1918 and well into the twenties too. Verdun made up about 85% of the total, perhaps because of it's similarity to Vernon.

Do you have anything similar?

Kate x

None in my tree but a quick search shows first names of Waterloo, Traflagar - there's even a Nelson Trafalgar Brattles. And from the Crimean War: Alma, Sevastopol, Balaclava; and there's Omdurman and Gordon Khartoum after the battles in Sudan and the general.
    I'll stick with Phil thanks.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

We have a couple of "Australia" as a middle name, both male and female, and I don't have one, but "Anzac" was popular apparently.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

My aunt born 1916 was given the middle name 'Belgium' which wasn't a great deal of help in trying to find exactly where my grandfather was at that time.
        Glen

Comment

My Grandmother's brother's christian names were Albert Edward Redvers Barden, he was born in 1901. He was obviously named after a couple of military top brass as his father was a military man.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

One of my great grandfathers was George Washington Kilpatrick! He was born in Ontario, Canada in 1859, almost 50 years after the death of the American president, to Scots Canadian parents. Why they gave him those Christian names nobody knows, but a search on Ancestry shows quite a few with the same name although many were black slaves in USA.
            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

my 2nd great grandmother was amanda victoria, her family being from south australia, and her middle name commemorating their move to victoria.

Comment

My friend's aunt, born late 1918, was named Peace.
                My father had a cousin born c1916/1917 with the middle name Kitchener
                John Winston Lennon born 1940

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Pretoria features as a middle name for a large number of girls c1900.

Comment

I have a great-uncle Alma, presumably named after the Crimean war battle.

Comment

Ive got a few Horatios

Comment

My great uncle's middle name was Verdun he was born in 1916, one of his brother's middle name's was Nelson & another brother's middle name was Victor
                        Ness

Comment

I am acquainted with someone whose name is Verdun. He was born in the 1950's therefore I can only assume that his parents liked the name.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            I have a great-uncle Alma, presumably named after the Crimean war battle.
                            I used to live in Alma Road, I guess that dates the buildings to just after 1854 then.

I guess modern names will reflect popular culture rather than events, popstars & footballers etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                              My Grandmother's brother's christian names were Albert Edward Redvers Barden, he was born in 1901. He was obviously named after a couple of military top brass as his father was a military man.

Like Wendy, i had an uncle "Redvers Buller", he was out in India in the army.
                              Jacky

Comment

i have an uncle leonard redvers, b1900. i dont understand the significance of the name 'redvers' as a middle name?

Comment

Going back to VERDUN, I found out recently that ex's Welsh aunt's husband, born in 1924, so a while after the battle, lol! had Verdun as a middle name and that aunt and father had a first cousin called Verdun too. Of course they might have been named after other Verduns who were named after the battle.

I also have a chap in my tree who married into my family, who married a chap called George Napoleon Money. His father was Napoleon Bonaparte Money, born 1826, five years after Napoleon Buonaparte died.
                                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

ooh, I forgot, we have a Victor Baden Powell and two named after the ships they were born on, but none after battles or wars.
                                    Di
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia
                                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                      i have an uncle leonard redvers, b1900. i dont understand the significance of the name 'redvers' as a middle name?
                                      OH has a 2x gt uncle with middle name of Redvers and I was baffled too! This probably explains it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redvers_Buller
                                      Sue

Comment

Dear Ness, my name is Danielle Verdun, I was named after my grandma Daisy Verdun, who was born in 1916. I'm trying to find out about my great-grandfather's involvement in the war. He was from Peterborough but I'm not sure what he was doing in Verdun, as it was mainly a battle between the French and Germans. Do you know anything about your great uncle's time in the war? It would be a great help if you could pass on any information you have. Kind regards, Danielle

Comment

Working...
                                        X