Carey Family 1881 PLAISTOW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carey Family 1881 PLAISTOW

I am doing some research and came across my Great X Grandparents that were supposed to be living on 47 Hack Road (Ale Stores) Michael and Ann Carey. They say they were in West Ham District 20a. Does anyone have the means of translating where that would be on a current map?

I have tried looking on the website http://www.maps-of-london.com that has the maps of West Ham and I was still not able to see Hack Road on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just love the fact that I came from London and since I have been there several times from the US I just wanted to get a visual picture of it in my mind on where they might have lived.

Thank you very much.

Have you tried following the adjoining roads on the census. Go back and forwards on the census pages and see what other roads are listed and you sometimes get a feel for what you are looking for.

Also look on the description of the enumeration district which shows the area and roads involved.
    Click here for West Ham district 20a (providing you have access to Ancestry!) Unfortunately it's not a very good image. :(
    Elaine

Comment

Interesting, Michael was living with his mum in Southampton in 1871.

Did Michael and Ann go to the States?

Doh, just seen you are in the states, so I guess they did Well Plaistow is a dockland area, so not the prettiest place in the world - not even today.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-02-11, 16:45.

Comment

Yes they did actually. They ended up in Troy, NY. Eventually they become the McNamee's by marriage. My grandmother on my Mom's side is a McNamee.

Comment

That is interesting. I am using Ancestry.com here in the states so I am trying to find all the information I can. Do you have the link for that?

Thanks for helping

Comment

Yes, just noticed you came from states. Well Michael, as you know was from Cork Ireland and his wife from Surrey.

Do you have the UK census?

Age slightly out but shown on someones tree for them??

I have my doubts they have the right person there?

Did they have children in this country - names, ages, places of birth? Do you know Ann's maiden name?
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-02-11, 16:52.

Comment

This Directory may be of use to you? Gives 47 Hack Road as being occupied by a beer retailer called Edward George Bishop. Its helpful as it gives a better description of the site of the property.

This is also useful for working out the street position:

Victoria Docks church, Hack Road, was built in 1872 by James Duncan, the sugar-refiner, to meet the needs of his Scottish workers. (fn. 285) It was bombed early in the Second World War, and not rebuilt.

Booths Poverty Maps of London may also be of help:

In Charles Booth's London you can search and view digitised notebooks of the Inquiry into Life and Labour in London and the associated poverty map.
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-02-11, 17:06.

Comment

Thank you so much Heather. This is great information.

I cannot seem to find Anna's maiden name. It keep showing Cary instead of Carey. I would not think that she would have had the same last name

She and Michael had a least one daughter that I could find named Anna Carey who married Michael McNamee this was in Troy, NY, USA.

I cannot wait to look at the links you sent. This stuff is so addicting sometimes. My mother is actually a Parsley and my father is a Worboys. It is all kinds of fun ha ha.

Comment

Oh the link http://pubcensus.co.uk/CanningTown/C...ntingdon.shtml does not seem to be coming up for me. I keep getting a 404.

Comment

Ok, well Ill copy and paste if you send me a pm with your email address. or try this link:

I was wondering if you contacted these people, they may know what the road is now called but I think you will find that it was destroyed in WW2 along with a lot of dockland areas - but they may have some old archived photos of it?
                    This Society (EoLFHS) is an organization which was created in 1978 to help its members locate historical family information for those individuals who resided in areas East of London during prior centuries

Do you have a year of birth for the daughter. Its odd that in their forties there are no children in the house at all. And where were they prior to 1881?
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 09-02-11, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
                    X