Thomas 1890

Edmund the Father Died in 1892 West ham Essex

Ada remarries in 1899 Romford Essex to a
    George Spelman

This is them in 1891

what I dont understand is

Elizabeth Ivy born 1896 Stepdaughter born Barking essex
    Arthur Ivy born 1897 Stepson born Barking essex

as if Edmund had died in 1892 who's children are these ??

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-11, 20:31.

The link you have given is for the 1891 census, Val.
    Do you have the 1901 one?
    Elaine

Comment

Maybe Ada had another "partner" in between Edmund dying in 1892 and her marriage to George in 1899.
      Elaine

Comment

Can't see any birth registrations under the name of Ivy ??
        Elaine

Comment

hi Elaine have found a death for Arthur Ivy in 1907 Romford Essex says born 1897 but not found either his or Elizabeths Birth ???

Comment

have you tried looking under oxley? or looking for another marriage between 1892-99? maybe she was divorced or married bigamously?

Comment

thanks Kyle am trying all options , but somebody on Ancestry has this family and she says the children were Edmunds ????

Comment

Well they obviously were not! The children (if no father was registered) would usually take the mother's surname which at the time was IVY. Only she knows who the father was! Perhaps it was George Spelman, although since they are described as his stepchildren on the census this seems unlikley. Only the mother knows who their father was!!!

Anne

Comment

Edmund the Father Died in 1892 West ham Essex

Buried 7th August 1892 age 43 at Barking St Margaret

Moggie

Comment

Anne I seem to have found a George Spillman and guess what ??? the other person has the wrong George ? looks like she has added the wrong George's info to my George, thank goodness for that.
                    Moggie where did you find that ? thanks so much.

Comment

Hi Val
                      Found his burial on my NBI discs.
                      Just found Elizabeth in 1911, unfortunately she's a servant but she does show up as Elizabeth Jane Ivy.
                      Moggie

P S Arthur not buried at Barking St Margaret.
                      Last edited by maudarby; 09-02-11, 13:47.

Comment

thanks very much Moggie its really nice of you,still trying to sort them out ugh

Comment

There is a John Arthur Ivey born Oct Quarter of 1897 in Marylebone, London - bit of a long shot but ............
                          There is also an entry for an Elizabeth Jane Ivey born July quarter of 1895 but in Easington Durham - again, another long shot which is probably wrong but might possibly be worth thinking about.

Comment

thanks for looking Chris, they certainly are elusive ? will take a look

Comment

Arthur Ivy aged 10 was buried at Rippleside Cemetery Barking on 11/11/1907

According to their records he is in the same grave (section D grave 912) as:

Edmund Ivy - 43 - buried 7/8/1892

Ada Clara Louisa Spellman - 7 months - buried 9/05/1902

Ada Allmarye Spellman - 38 - buried 16/06/1903

Arthur Percy Spelman - 3 months -buried 12/9/1903

Cheers
                              Sue

Comment

wow Sue thanks so much I hadn't realised this site existed now I know when they died will help in my search.

Comment

Noticed also that George Spelman appears to be buried there too - he seems to have been a bit confused with his age over the different sources (b 1869 - 1871 approx) - but a 68 year old of that name was buried 5/12/1936 in the same grave as Clara Spetman (sic - presumably a transcription error) buried 17/9/1896 aged 22 (his first wife??) and his daughter Ethel Anne Maria Spelman - buried 9/8/1935 aged 41

The register entry for his marriage to Ada at St Margarets, Barking is available to view via SEAX - 6/8/1899. He was 28 a widower, a Carman of 11 Romford St Barking - father Henry Spelman (dec'd) - Ropemaker

Ada was recorded as 34 - widow - of 13 Romford St Barking

Witnesses were Frederick and Louisa Harrison

There appears to be a likely baptism on Ancestry LMA records for George - 29th April 1868 in Bethnal Green - father was Henry - a twine-spinner

This date (if baptised as an infant) ties up with being 68 at the date of death - not that a birth registration jumps out me though!!

Good Luck with them all

Cheers
                                  Sue

Comment

thanks so much Sue I did go on that site but didnt have a lot of luck ? dont know why ?? that will help me a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                    X