Another beginner's question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another beginner's question

I'm looking for a possible death of someone in Nottingham between 1841 & 1851 (not sure if they died or if a mistake about their place of birth was made on the 1841 census which was corrected on the 1851 census.....ie if my gggg grandfather had 2 Elizabeths in his life or only one). I've found the death of someone with the correct name in Nottm in Dec 1842......I guess there's no way I can get any tips about her from the entry & the only way to find out is to order the certificate ?

Someone might have some burial discs for Nottingham which may show her age - might help.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks, Elaine,.....unfortunately I'm using a Mac so I can't use the discs available. It could help because she had her first child in 1820, so, if she was very young or old, it wouldn't be her

Comment

Can you apply to the local register office?

Assuming it is one that does certs for family research...........
        You can always specify you are looking for the death of a person over the age of XX (Deduct about ten years from the expected age to allow for informants who guessed!). Doesn't work for the GRO now they have removed the 'checking point' :(
        That could at least eliminate anyone who may have died young.

I have also used....'Could be registered as wife of' and that came up trumps with two Smiths registered in the same quarter.

Good luck
        Chris
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Pop the name on this thread and perhaps someone could see if they can find anything for you.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks......Betsy Bradley died Nottingham, December quarter 1842

Comment

Found this one
              Burial 23 Oct 1842 - Betsey BRADLEY age 2 months - Nottingham, St Mary
              Elaine

Comment

Any idea when your Elizabeth was born?
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks to Chris, first of all....didn't know you could do that.

Oh, looks as though it's a blind alley, then, Elaine, although I think there are a couple more deaths of Elizabeth Bradleys in Nottm between the 1841 & 1851 census.

On the 1841 census my gggg grandfather is "married to" (can't find a wedding) an Elizabeth /Betsy who was born in Nottinghamshire. In the later census records he's still with an Elizabeth/Betsy, but she is said to have been born in Titchmarsh, Northants. His first child was named Alfred Bradley Asher, but the woman born in Titchmarsh Northants was almost certainly an Elizabeth Barfield (there was an Elizabeth Bradley from a village just down the road in Northants, but she married someone else & stayed there). My gggg grandfather's youngest son named his only daughter Betsy Barfield.

So, it COULD be that his first partner was an Elizabeth Bradley, born in Notts, but she died between 1841 & 1851, & he then got together with Elizabeth Barfield from Titchmarsh, Northants. (She married a William Asher in Leicester in 1814, but after the birth of their second child in 1818, William seems to disappear from the face of the earth)

Comment

I can have a look for you tonight on my CD but am not on my computer at the moment.

If anyone else finds anything first then please help.

This CD is one of my better buys
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                      On the 1841 census my gggg grandfather is "married to" (can't find a wedding) an Elizabeth /Betsy who was born in Nottinghamshire.
                      In the later census records he's still with an Elizabeth/Betsy, but she is said to have been born in Titchmarsh, Northants.
                      Just because the 1841 census states she was born in county, it doesn't mean she was! I have found many an instance where the place of birth has changed between 1841 and 1851!
                      Is it possible it's the same Elizabeth/Betsy?
                      Elaine

Comment

Sorry, Elaine...misread your post....thought you said where she was born. Gotta go now, but I'll check & post later.

Thanks very much, Lin.....I believe they're bringing out CDs you can use with Mac in September, so I'll get them then

Comment

Lin, if you have the burial discs for Nottingham, would you be willing to do a look up for me sometime, hopefully solve the problem of my gg grandmother!

Linda
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Sorry.....back. According to the 1841 census, she was 45 years old. The man she was (presumably) living with had the surname Asher, but can't find any variation of Elizabeth Asher dying in Nottingham between 1841 & 1851, so I tried Bradley (the surname she would have been born with) She could have come from anywhere in Notts.....haven't been able to find a baptism, but there's a good chance she came from a nonconformist family. If she did die between those years, she would have been living in St Mary's parish, Nottingham....with a very slight chance that she might have been living in St Peter's parish, Nottingham (ie city centre, not Arnold or Basford etc)

Comment

Linda

I have PM'd you
                              Lin

Comment

Sorry, Elaine, I've missed one of your posts. It's quite possible it was the same woman (in which case I'd go for Betsy Barfield from Titchmarsh, Northants, because that would hardly be likely to be something you made up& I can't see why her youngest son would have named his only daughter Betsy Barfield). But this is part of my long running quest to find out where the "Bradley" in "her" first son's name Alfred Bradley came from (I know, it could have come from anywhere) & I was wondering if I'd missed an obvious clue here.

Comment

I can't find any suitable burials between 1841 and 1851 but like Elaine has said it could be the same person.

I have found

Elizabeth Asher 4th Feb 1869 aged 79
                                  St Marys Nottingham abode Newcastle St

Lyon Asher 16 Aug 1860 aged 70
                                  St Marys Nottingham abode Newcastle Ct.

You probably have these deaths but thought you might like the burials as well
                                  Lin

Comment

Thank you very much Lin.....& for the burials. So it looks as if he only had the one Elizabeth. I thought that the 1841 "out of county" might have been a mistake, but I didn't realise it was a reasonably common one. By the time of the 1841 census, she would have been living in Nottm for 26 years anyway, if she was Betsy Barfield from Northants.

Comment

I cant remember if we went down this route last time, Did you get a copy of the Eliz Barfield marrige to Wm Asher? do you know who her parents are?
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, Julie. I've got a copy of the marriage entry.....there are no clues in the witnesses....one is a Benjamin Banns & the other is a Sarah ??? (pretty indicipheraböle, but it doesn't look like Asher/Barfield/Bradley)..both workers in the wool industry. It says that Eliz was born outside the county (seems this is unusual ?) Assuming she was the Eliz from Titchmarsh, Northants, I know quite a bit about her parents & siblings. I've got as far back as her grandparents & there are no Bradleys. It may have been the case that, as she'd used the Barfield name for the name of her first child with William (George Thomas Barfield), she used the surname of a good friend/benefactor/relative for the middle name of her first child with Lyon (Alfred Bradley). In fact, that's another thought that I've had....that the use of what's probably a surname as Alfred's middle name probably indicates that there's been a break....that this is her first child with a new partner (don't find any surnames with the other children). Unless, of course, it was an illegitimate child by a Mr (Alfred ?) Bradley.

If only I could find out what happened to William ! Still think he may be the William Asher who married Elizabeth Hall in Leicester later, but I don't know how to prove/disprove it.

Sorry....I'm dragging you all round in circles.

If you don't hear from me for ages, I'm probably plotting all the William Ashers.....please cyber some sandwiches & a flask

Comment

Working...
                                        X