Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when you run out of records...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when you run out of records...?

My Great Grandfather, John James Forsyth was born on Gordon Street off Netherfield Road, Everton in Liverpool in March 1890. He worked as a carter on the Docks, married in 1911, had a family of four, served in the War and died of leukaemia in 1921 aged just 31. As such, I know very little about him or, indeed have any inkling of what sort of man he was. I also lack any photographs of him.

What I do know is that he had two sisters – Ann Jane born in early 1888, and Florence Jessie Forsyth born in the Summer of 1892. The family – including parents Thomas William (also a carter) and Sarah Ann Simon - lived in and around Everton from around 1890 (although I have not been able to find them on the 1911 census).

Upon reaching adulthood, Ann appears to have married (John) Henry Rowlands in the Spring of 1906, and Florence seems to have married Henry Williams (a flour miller and son of a man of the same name and a mother named Mary Ann) in early 1911.

In 1911, Florence and Henry are living on Torr Street in a terrace named ‘Rock View’. There were no children listed in the 1911 census, but several do appear over the following years born to ‘Williams’ and ‘Forsyth’. I have not yet been able to ascertain if these are ‘my’ Williams and Forsyth children or not: Henry (Mar 1912), Mary A (Dec 1912), Florence (Mar 1914), Ann J (Jun 1916, died young), John J (Sep 1919), Esther (Mar 1922), Thomas (Jun 1925), George (Sep 1927). The dates of the births might intimate that Henry Williams fought in WWI. As yet, I have found no record of this.

As for Ann, although she is living on Bostock Street in the 1911 census with husband Henry, there are again no children shown by this time. Likewise, none appear in the BMD indexes.
    What I’m looking for is some sort of idea of what happened to Ann and Florence and Florence’s children. My hope is that by tracing some surviving descendants that I’ll be able to get some idea of what Ann/Florence or even John were like.

But I'm not really sure where to start when one goes past 1911. Can't really afford to buy up all of those birth certs to make sure they are Florence's kids and even if I did, there's still 80-odd years between those births and today...!

Help...!

Have you searched on Genesreunited and ancestry trees for anyone with any of those names in their trees? You could put up a tree with the names in on both those sites yourself so that if in the future anyone is looking for the same names they will see your interest and hopefully get in touch.

LancsBMD site may have fuller transcriptions of the births you have identified to confirm whether or not they are from the women you know are your relatives.

Finally have you got the WW1 record for John James Forsyth?
    Margaret

Comment

Is this the death of your Thomas William Forsyth
      Thomas W Forsyth
      Estimated birth year: abt 1866
      Year of Registration: 1915
      Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
      Age at Death: 49
      District: West Derby
      County: Lancashire
      Volume: 8b
      Page: 356

Comment

I managed to track down living second cousins by getting the death certificate of my great uncle and then following up the person who registered the death.

Although you say your Florence was born Summer 1892 the only registration I could see listed for FLorence Jessie Forsyth was in March quarter 1893 in Birkenhead. I see there is a death listed in 1973 for a Florence Jessie Williams, born 22 Feb 1893, ref Mar 1973 Wallasey 10a 2053 which might be useful to buy.

Oh tish!! I see that in 1901 there was a Florence Forsyth aged 8 in Birkenhead as well as your Florence in Liverpool so ignore what I wrote above! In fact your Florence was registered at birth, and at marriage without a middle name. I think the Birkenhead Florence Jessie Forsyth also married a Williams, in 1915, so some of the births you found will probably belong to that couple
        Last edited by JudithM; 08-02-11, 08:11.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Do you have access to ancestry? I can see, I hope, his WW1 record there, his address being given as 5 Cambridge Terrace, Liverpool. It gives his description as a carter.
          Last edited by Joy Dean; 08-02-11, 08:44.
          Joy

Comment

If you haven't already done it - you could take a free 14 day trial with ancestry (cancel before 14 days so no charge) - put a segment of your tree on it - make it public and see what materialises.

You could do the same with a free tree on Tribal pages.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I don't know whether you are a member of GR but I have just done a quick search on there and there are 5 people who all have a John Forsyth born 1890 in Liverpool in their trees. They are - Lisa Creaser, Vivienne Simmons, Rose Hays, Cyril Taylor, and a John Brown.
              If you don't know who these people are it may be worth contacting them all to see whether they are from the same family.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Margaret,

I have searched on Genesreunited for each of those kids names and found no-one related who's yet replied. Ancestry I can't use properly as I can't afford it this year, but there does appear to be at least one possibility for the Esther daughter.

The characters do appear on my Genesreunited tree.

LancsBMD sadly wasn't any use and weren't even able to provide the mother's maiden name!

Finally, I do have John's wartime record - which I know I'm lucky to be able to get! - nothing of any huge interest in it, other than the news that he was very deaf and had scars on both his knees!

Stephen

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Have you searched on Genesreunited and ancestry trees for anyone with any of those names in their trees? You could put up a tree with the names in on both those sites yourself so that if in the future anyone is looking for the same names they will see your interest and hopefully get in touch.

LancsBMD site may have fuller transcriptions of the births you have identified to confirm whether or not they are from the women you know are your relatives.

Finally have you got the WW1 record for John James Forsyth?
                Margaret

Comment

Margaret,

That's the chap, yes. His wife lived on 'til 1929.

Stephen

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  Is this the death of your Thomas William Forsyth
                  Thomas W Forsyth
                  Estimated birth year: abt 1866
                  Year of Registration: 1915
                  Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                  Age at Death: 49
                  District: West Derby
                  County: Lancashire
                  Volume: 8b
                  Page: 356

Comment

Judith,

You're right about Florence. She seemed to have been called 'Florence Jessie' by the family, but not officially. I can't believe that the Birkenhead one also married a Williams. How difficult do they want to make it for future generations...?!

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                    I managed to track down living second cousins by getting the death certificate of my great uncle and then following up the person who registered the death.

Although you say your Florence was born Summer 1892 the only registration I could see listed for FLorence Jessie Forsyth was in March quarter 1893 in Birkenhead. I see there is a death listed in 1973 for a Florence Jessie Williams, born 22 Feb 1893, ref Mar 1973 Wallasey 10a 2053 which might be useful to buy.

Oh tish!! I see that in 1901 there was a Florence Forsyth aged 8 in Birkenhead as well as your Florence in Liverpool so ignore what I wrote above! In fact your Florence was registered at birth, and at marriage without a middle name. I think the Birkenhead Florence Jessie Forsyth also married a Williams, in 1915, so some of the births you found will probably belong to that couple

Comment

Joy Dean,

That's right, yes. I got the record some time ago. I do like "5 Cambridge Terrace". It actually means "5 in 15 Court, Robsart Street" which was the tenement housing they were living in. 'Cambridge Terrace' does sound nicer though, doesn't it...?

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                      Do you have access to ancestry? I can see, I hope, his WW1 record there, his address being given as 5 Cambridge Terrace, Liverpool. It gives his description as a carter.

Comment

JBee, thanks for the advice.

I presume one is only able to get away with just the one free trial? Also, what about the fact that I am a previous subscriber? Wouldn't this mean that I wouldn't be entitled to the freebie...?

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                        If you haven't already done it - you could take a free 14 day trial with ancestry (cancel before 14 days so no charge) - put a segment of your tree on it - make it public and see what materialises.

You could do the same with a free tree on Tribal pages.

Comment

Chrissie,

I will have contacted all of these at some point. no good news, though...

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                          I don't know whether you are a member of GR but I have just done a quick search on there and there are 5 people who all have a John Forsyth born 1890 in Liverpool in their trees. They are - Lisa Creaser, Vivienne Simmons, Rose Hays, Cyril Taylor, and a John Brown.
                          If you don't know who these people are it may be worth contacting them all to see whether they are from the same family.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStephen View Post
                            Joy Dean,

That's right, yes. I got the record some time ago. I do like "5 Cambridge Terrace". It actually means "5 in 15 Court, Robsart Street" which was the tenement housing they were living in. 'Cambridge Terrace' does sound nicer though, doesn't it...?
                            Good, I am glad you have it
                            Joy

Comment

Originally posted by MrStephen View Post
                              JBee, thanks for the advice.

I presume one is only able to get away with just the one free trial? Also, what about the fact that I am a previous subscriber? Wouldn't this mean that I wouldn't be entitled to the freebie...?
                              Try using a different email address - it should work, hopefully
                              Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X