Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do next..any help appreciated

Hi
    I have finally after a few years of searching found my 3 x g grandfather William Freeston(e) as a boy in the 1841 census. I have always had problems prior to the 1861 census and have everything for him after this. He married Emily Rose Nunn in 1853 in Whittlesford Cambridge and they had a daughter Emily in Sawston Cambridge then moved to Bermondsey in Surrey. By 1861 they were in West Harnham Wilts until 1891 when the family moved to HAvant in Hampshire. Majority of the males were skinners or leather dressers and the females were teachers.
    I eventually found William age 9 in the 1841 census mistranbscribed with his mother Elizabeth and siblings Mark, Elizabeth, James and Eliza. The father William Freestone hd died in 1837 and was buried in Sawston. I have never found William in the 1851 census but have found all hi siblings and possibly his mother. I know William was in Sawston in October of 1850 as he was a witness to his future sister-in-laws marriage.
    I purchased the disc of poor law records of Cambridge and found William Freestone, under a settlement removal order in 1832. I recieved a copy from Cambridge Records Office and it names William Freestone, his wife Elizabeth, and six children, Mark aged 10y,Sarah aged 8y (both who have gained no settlement in their own right) Elizabeth 6y, James 4y, Eliza 2y and an infant not yet baptised. The order is to remove them from Wallington Surrey to Sawston Cambridge and dated 3rd March 1832. There is a note to say Elizabeth was too ill to travel and as soon as she was well they would be moved.
    I know from records that William Freestone the elder was not baptised or married in Sawston so why were they removed back to there?
    The two eldest children Mark and Sarah have birthplaces as Warwick in later census.
    I dont know what to do next as i cant seem to find anything. Also i have never found what happened to William and Rose Emily's eldest daughter Emily Sarah Freestone. She was baptised 6 Nov 1853 Sawston and never seen since.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cathy
    cathy x:p
    [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

researching Adams, Freestone, Tribbett, Penny, Batchelor, Head

If the poor law authorities couldn't ascertain where someone was baptised then they removed him (and his family) to the last place they either lived or had settlement.

I have one relative who complains bitterly about being "thrown like a stone from parish to parish". All the Poor Law uthorities wanted to do was to shift responsibility onto another parish, which wasn't necessarily the right one!

OC

Comment

So basically neither William or his wife had to be born in Sawston then they may have just lived there for a time. Did they need help and is that why they were being moved around as nobody actually wanted the burden?
      Are there any records for Warwick anywhere online or transcribed onto discs etc ?

Cathy
      [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Warwickshire has a few indexes and its catalogue online, but the poor law index isn't included, and he doesn't seem to be listed in the catalogue:

The best I can find is a reference to Elizabeth Freestone in 1822 (maybe his mother?):

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-02-11, 13:25.

Comment

Thankyou Mary i have just had a look at both sites and you are right he doesn't seem to be listed. I don't think that will be my Elizabeth as they were poor people . Thankyou for helping me.
          Cathy
          [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Quite a few references to your family in the Cambridge archives online catalogue, but you may already have them from the Poor Law disc:

Comment

Thats brilliant Mary there is a letter from William Freestone in 1832 to the Overseer and that is not onthe disc so thanytou

Cathy
              [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I have just clicked on it for more information and it is saying no record found. I think i will message Cambridge Archives
                [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by cathy in pompey View Post
                  Are there any records for Warwick anywhere online or transcribed onto discs etc ?

Cathy
                  there are the 'pickards pink pages' they have some warks stuff transcribed

Warwickshire, Genealogy, Family History, Hungary Real Estate, Hungary Property, Industrial property, Renovation, Investment in Hungary, Budapest property, Property in Hungary, Real estate Hungary, Apartment Hungary,lake Balaton houses, offices

when you get the page up you need to click on BMD on left and then the first 'hit' will be 'Parish Record Transcriptions'
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie will go and have a look
                    Cathy
                    [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

no probs :D
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nothing on that Warwick site which is a shame as it is a brilliant site.

Cathy
                        [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Hi Cathy

Sent you a PM

Bev

Comment

This sounds interesting (I wonder if it's the same thing Bev PM'd you about?)

Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents WO 97/538/37

WILLIAM FREESTONE Born FEN DITTON, Cambridgeshire Served in 37th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 23 . WILLIAM FREESTONE Born FEN DITTON, Cambridgeshire Served in 37th Foot Regiment Discharged aged 23 37th Foot: Fai - Hol
                            Date: 1846 - 1851

From http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/s...px?&queryText=

Comment

Lots of Freestone baptisms in Cambridgeshire here. The only Williams whose parents were William and Elizabeth were from Haddenham, but the date's a bit early. There's one from Sawston, but his father was John.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 07-02-11, 15:05.

Comment

There are a lot more Cambridgeshire online indexes here, which might be worth a look:

Comment

Thanks Mary off to look at those
                                  Cathy
                                  [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I wonder if this is William in 1851?

Comment

Oh Mary i think that is him. On the original image he is a skinner and birthplace is Sawston. I can't thank you enough i have been looking for 5 years to find that! I wonder what he was doing in oxford now. Thankyou again
                                      Cathy
                                      [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Have been in touch with Cambridge Archives to get a copy of the letter from William Freeston to the overseer of the poor in 1832. Now still have the problem of the firstborn child Emily Sarah born 1853 and baptised 6th Nov 1853 in Sawston. Can find no death or burial and she is never with her family.
                                        [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                        X