Passenger lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger lists

On FMP passenger lists, in 1910 Kate Hiles went from Liverpool to Quebec, Canada. Is it possible for someone to see whether she either came from Oxford, or parents were Henry and Rosetta Hiles.

Thanks

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Transcribed on Ancestry as Kate L Heale. The purser's writing is atrocious. She's in a family group travelling to Toronto:
    John aged 40, a porter to be a checker
    Kate L aged 39
    Annie E V aged 15.5
    Florence aged 10

If this is your family I can save the image and email it to you.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for looking Uncle John, but that lot is not mine - back to the drawing board, I'm trying to find a Kate Hiles born in Oxford in 1887 who went to Canada in about 1910. I thought I had her there

Linda
      Linda

Comment

UJ, Are you sure Kate L Heale is the Kate Hiles that Linda had found? There's not much info on the fmp image, but she is a spinster and seems to be travelling alone. The ship is the Corsican, sailing from Liverpool to Montreal, on 6 October 1910.

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Problem with Canadian shipping lists is that they mostly don't show place of origin. Do you know what happened to her afterwards? If she didn't marry she might be in a census.

Comment

Linda, these are the images for the ship's arrival in Canada http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...4bqe73tc166se4 if you work your way through, Kate should be there somewhere. There should be more info here than on the fmp image.

scuda
            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

scuda - I was looking at the image on Ancestry.

Comment

scuda - I was looking at the image on Ancestry.
                I gathered that, but I was wondering if you were on a person with a similar name travelling at a different time. I've found Kate Hiles on the link I posted above, image 24, although I'm not totally convinced that the surname isn't Hills. She was 23 years old and a nurse, destination Montreal.

scuda

Comment

Thanks Scuda, will go through those in a minute, but with the info you gave in your previous post I trawled the listing for the Corsican arrival in Quebec in October in 1910 and found her, transcribed as Miles, so thank you very much indeed. She is 23, which matches the age of my Kate, so is looking good.

Thanks for your help too UJ.

Linda
                  Linda

Comment

UJ, I can't see the images on Ancestry, but I think she is probably transcribed as Kate Miles. Do you know if the Ancestry images are the same as the ones I've linked to, or are they a variation?

scuda

Comment

Found her on Ancestry trancribed as Miles, despite being in the middle of the H's. I have submitted a correction. AFAIK they are the same images.

Comment

AFAIK they are the same images.
                        I suspected as much, one less chance of learning something extra.

scuda

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that she married in 1915 to George Albert Draper in Quebec - I found the marriage entry on Ancestry. Today I also found on the passenger lists in 1922 Kate Draper. born Oxford 1887, returning after a holiday in England, her husband although crossed out, looks like his name is George. Hopefully when the next Canadian census comes out - about 3 years I think- I might find more info to confirm.

Linda
                          Linda

Comment

you coulkd try to get that marriage cert, if you think its her, the marriage might help?

Comment

Thanks Kylejustin, but I'm not sure that there is a marriage cert - from what I could find out they didn't start giving out marriage certs in Cananda till about the 1960's. What I found was the church entry which was copied, and I don't think there are more details than this. This is what I have http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=13392082, if there is a certificate available I would defiinitely think of getting it. Any Canadians out there who can advise?

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Any marriage certificate is no more than a copy of the marriage register entry, so somehow you need to get back to the original register.

Comment

I think that's what is on that entry, as it is from the church registers. Not a lot of info unfortunately. Thanks again

Linda
                                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                                  X