Excommunication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excommunication

I think I may have found that one of my Fairburn's was excommunicated.

Can any one tell me where someone who had been excommunicated would be buried? As in, could they be buried in the regular churchyard or would they be buried just outside in the same sort of area as those who had commited suicide?
    Barbara

Depends when, but yes, if excommunicated, buried with the suicides etc.

OC

Comment

Thanks for confirming that OC

as to date - 1860's
      Barbara

Comment

Oooh, gosh, that's quite late. Of course, by 1860, excommunication didn't have quite the sting that it used to have. OK, you might not be able to be buried in a churchyard, but you could be buried in a municipal cemetery, so little odds really.

How did you find that? I have a few but they were much earlier than this, mostly 1600s and 1700s...and one or two of them bought their way back.........

OC

OC

Comment

They happened to be a dozen excommunications listed in the burial registers for Hampsthwaite, in Yorkshire. They just happen to be published online by the local church.

Obviously I'd need to see the originals to confirm. According to the transcript this chap was excommunicated for contumacy.
          Barbara

Comment

Oooh, I'd love to read the story behind that! I bet there was something in the local paper at the time.

OC

Comment

Thanks again OC

I hadn't thought of looking at the local papers, but I guess that it would be newsworthy wouldnt it?
              Barbara

Comment

My lot were always getting involved in religious rows, which were faithfully reported in the local paper.

I have to say I often have difficulty in working out what they were rowing about......

OC

Comment

There were all sorts of religious schisms and amalgamations going on, from early on right through to the recent past (e.g the formation of the URC within living memory).
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have one very long and involved religious schism, in the mid 1700s, where the new vicar was suspected of being a Unitarian!

Despite endless hours on the internet, I still haven't grasped why that was so awful and why a breakaway chapel was formed!

However, excommunication is on an altogether higher level than this. Contumacy basically means argumentativeness, hardly a basis for excommunication I would have thought.

OC

Comment

I would imagine that changing from belief as a Trinitarian (the conventional Christian view - God as Three in One - Father, Son, Holy Spirit) to a Unitarian (God as a single being, according to my dictionary) would be viewed extremely seriously. A fundamental change of doctrinal belief.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X