Family missing from 1901 census ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family missing from 1901 census ?

My ancestral family show up nicely on the 1911 census as .......

YOUNG, William Head Married Machinist England Birmingham (1856)
    YOUNG, Elizabeth Wife Married 17 years England Birmingham (1863)
    YOUNG, Edward Son Single Sawyer Wood England Birmingham (1895)
    YOUNG, Arthur Son School England Birmingham (1897)
    YOUNG, Beatrice Daughter School England Birmingham YOUNG (1899)
    YOUNG Thomas Son School England Birmingham (1904)
    YOUNG, George Son England Birmingham (1908)

...... but the family is seemingly missing from the 1901 census.

Arthur, Beatrice and Thomas were born at 38 Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath (Kings Norton) and if you search that address on the 1901 census return, you find a "1" entered in the column marked "Uninhabited - Not in Occupation".

First of all, how would the census guy determine that and, second, anyone have a theory as to where the family might be ?!!!

The enumerator who was responsible for collecting in all the forms and listing them (the images that we are now looking at) would have had to knock on the door. I suppose he decided that having left the form the previous week and gone back to collect it some days after census night, that the place looked empty - maybe the neighbours confirmed that.
    Margaret

Comment

Maybe they had gone to visit other relatives and been mis-transcribed under the relatives' surname. The other option could be they went abroad and then came back but that's possibly a bit far fetched for such a large family.
      Margaret

Comment

I notice that there is a gap in the childrens ages between 1899 and 1904 so it's possible they weren't living in Birmingham in 1901 and came back.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've been having a look, and I keep coming back to this family, living in Balsall Health in 1901. The parents are William and Elizabeth, with similar (but not identical) ages to the ones in 1911, and their youngest daughter is Beatrice. All the other children are different, but I think it might be worth your while to search for the children who appear with William and Elizabeth in 1901 but not 1911 and vice versa, in case they're living with relatives or in service.

Comment

I was thinking the wifes name may have been different in 1901 (remarriage) but I just noticed you say they had been married 17 years in the 1911.

Comment

Working...
            X