Marriage hunt please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage hunt please

Can anyone find the marriage between James Eades, b.ca 1814 in East Pennard (or Wraxall) in Somerset and Maria Seymour b. ca.1822 in Street Somerset. In 1851 they are in Long Ashton in Somerset -http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7537871 (Class: HO107; Piece: 1946; Folio: 13; Page: 18; ) and their eldest son John is with his maternal grandparents - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7377887 (Class: HO107; Piece: 1935; Folio: 117; Page: 17; ) , and his aunt Elizabeth who later becomes his father's housekeeper.

They seemed to be in Somerset all their lives , John was born in 1848 and Maria died in Mar Quarter 1864 in Bedminster district, but I am having trouble tracking down the marriage, I have them on all censuses except Maria in 1841. Thanks in advance

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Where have you looked so far?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And you are sure of Maria's surname? I see the son is called William Seymour and then a ditto I guess for Eades on the census. But I cant see a birth for a William Seymour Eades? Have you got the cert?

Just seen the other boy with his grandparents, the Seymours. Also Seymour a sister in law.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 05-02-11, 12:56.

Comment

Ancestry and FreeBMD. There is an entry on FreeBMD for a James Eades marrying in Yeovil in 1847 but the bride does not match up - she is Mary Davey.

Linda
        Linda

Comment

In 1871 Maria is not with him and it looks as though he has unmarried at the side of his name. There is Elizabeth Seymour living with him as Sister in Law and house keeper.

Just wondering if they perhaps didn't marry. Just going to look for Maria's death
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

There is a Maria Eades dying in 1864 at Bedminister. Could that be her? I don't know somerset at all
            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Long Ashton is in the Bedminster district, so I think that is her. I haven't got any certs as this is not my line, but a cousins. I found some of the info on a tree on Ancestry and am trying to confirm it - the tree has Maria with the wrong parents, from what I can see. I've found the baptisms for the children in the IGI, parents James and Maria. This confirms that John born 1848 was their child, and also William Seymour Eades, born 12-2-1849, bap. 11-3-1849. I found a birth reg for William Eades for Mar 1849 in Sherborne district - not sure why she was there! Still no trace of a marriage anywhere though!

Linda
              Linda

Comment

There is a family legend that Maria Seymour was the illegitimate daughter of the Duke of Somerset (not so unusual I gather) I am searching under the name St Maur (the name they used) as well as Seymour. Her son Henry Adolphus Eades born 1864 (my wifes grandfather) 10 days before Maria died in Bristol. The 12th Duke also had the name Adolphus. If you get any joy . . . It may well be the fact that Maria returned to her mothers home to give birth and would appear as an older sister/child. There are St Maurs in the Birmingham area as are Eades. Was she shipped off there to get married or did she work there? Plenty of Eades data if you want it.
                searcher40

Comment

James Eades

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Can anyone find the marriage between James Eades, b.ca 1814 in East Pennard (or Wraxall) in Somerset and Maria Seymour b. ca.1822 in Street Somerset. In 1851 they are in Long Ashton in Somerset -http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7537871 (Class: HO107; Piece: 1946; Folio: 13; Page: 18; ) and their eldest son John is with his maternal grandparents - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7377887 (Class: HO107; Piece: 1935; Folio: 117; Page: 17; ) , and his aunt Elizabeth who later becomes his father's housekeeper.

They seemed to be in Somerset all their lives , John was born in 1848 and Maria died in Mar Quarter 1864 in Bedminster district, but I am having trouble tracking down the marriage, I have them on all censuses except Maria in 1841. Thanks in advance

Linda
                  Since John (the grandson) has the name Eades and Mary (Maria?) is a Seymour, does this suggest that in 1851 Mary/Maria wasn't married to James - if ever? If they did get married it would have been in the period 1851 - 1864.
                  Brian

Comment

Having said that then Mary who was with Isaac on census day could not be Maria - unless she was in two places at once because she is recorded at Long Ashton. Do you know if the 1851 census was very specific in date and time?
                    Brian

Comment

I think that Mary and Maria were 2 different people, the age differs quite a bit, Maria is 30 in 1851 and Mary 23 and a school mistress. Unfortunately I can't find Mary after the 1851, the name is reasonably common to be able to be sure on deaths or marriages,
                      Linda

Comment

Hi Ozgirl
                        I think that Mary (the schoolmistress) may have married a Thomas Pymm 1852 in Marylebone.
                        I found them in 1861 census in Kentish Town. She was age 33 & she gave her birthplace as Street.
                        Moggie

Here is the marriage on Ancestry, her father was Isaac.
                        Last edited by maudarby; 02-06-12, 17:07.

Comment

Do you have the burial details for Maria Eades at Long Ashton?
                          There were four other Eades girls/babies also buried there.
                          Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie, thanks for that, certainly looks like her in the marriage, I was looking mainly in Somerset so was way out!

I don't have the burial details, apart from what's on FreeBMD registers, and have only 2 children that died in that area, so if you could forward them to me would love to have them.

Thanks so much
                            Linda

Comment

23rd Apr 1855 Anna Maria Eades age 11 weeks
                              2nd Sep 1861 Edna Ellen Eades age 3 years
                              4th June 1856 Elizabeth Seymour Eades age 1 day
                              5th Mar 1864 Eva Eades Eades age 2 ( Eades given as her forename as well as surname)
                              10th Feb 1864 Maria Eades age 43

All buried at Long Ashton, All Saints.
                              Moggie
                              Last edited by maudarby; 02-06-12, 18:48. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thanks so much Moggie - A couple of extra names for me there too.
                                Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X