Ethel Taylor help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethel Taylor help needed please

Trying to get some info on Ethel Taylor.

I have her marrying Alexander Hargreaves 02/08/1924 in Skerton Lancaster.
    Her father is listed as Joseph Taylor (Deceased) a Farmer
    Now Ethel Goes on to have serveral children the first dying at childbirth, and Ethel herself dying during childbirth in 1934.

On her marriage cert she is listed as being 23 years old a spinster, working as a domestic servant, living at 31 Captains Row, Skerton Lancaster.

What would appear to be a relly was a witness for her marriage but I can't make out the name. (see below)

Any help tracing Ethel back to her birth and also anything on Joseph would be appreciated.

Thanks

L

Could the witness be Edna May Taylor?
    Moggie

Comment

My internet is playing up but I am trying to get onto 1911. I think that the witness Edna May could possibly be the birth in 1907 in Lancaster and there are two possibles in 1901 for Ethel. I wanted to see if they were both together.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

edna may taylor. maybe a sister or cousin?

Comment

Thanks for the input ladies, using Edna May and the Lanc's BMD, I think I've got Ethel's and Edna's mother Eleanor Young, married Joseph at St Helens church Overton in 1898.

L

Comment

It looks like Eleanor was a widow by 1911 or her husband was away from home. Possibly living 5 Cross St Skerton.
            Moggie

Comment

Going by the 1901 census Joseph was a lot older than Eleanor. In 1901 he is showing as 46 and born in Ulverston, he is a farmer. She is 25 born Ulverston. They already have 2 children - Alice 2 and Doris 9 months, both born Overton. His brothet William Taylor is also living with them (34) born Heaton.

There are a few possible deaths for Joseph between 1907 and 1911 but I don't know what the registration area in Lancashire would be? The only one in Lancaster between 1901 and 1911 is in 1909 but he is 60 - so a bit too old.

A more likely death for him would be Dec 1915 in Lancaster aged 61 ?
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-02-11, 16:01.

Comment

I've just done a free search on 1911 and it looks as though there was a son Joseph born aged O in 1911. So I guess the later death would be more likely. Perhaps Joseph was sleeping somewhere else that night as Moggie says.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-02-11, 22:46.

Comment

I think this may be Joseph in 1911
                  JOSEPH TAYLOR Birth year 1855 age 56
                  Marriage Year1898 Relationship To Head SERVANT Occupation LABOURER Birth Place HEATON CountyLancashire DistrictLancaster

Moggie

Living Downeyfield Farm Middleton servant to Thomas Postlethwaite
                  Last edited by maudarby; 05-02-11, 16:45. Reason: More info

Comment

Oh, I wonder what happened to the farm and why he wasn't with Eleanor?

Comment

Again thanks ladies, I've had a look thru Lanc's BMD and found the folowing childeren to Joseph & Eleanor

1898 Alice
                      1900 Doris
                      1901 Ethel
                      1903 Elizabeth Agnes
                      1904 Regie Hilton
                      1907 Edna May
                      1911 Joseph Arnold

Chrissie I think the death in 1915 is the most likely

Moggie I think that will be him

With the farm thing, I wonder if he was building himself up a bit and infact he was only farm hand/manager or similar

The registration district is Lancaster, Overton, Middleton and Heaton are all local areas that intermingle

L

Comment

Working...
                      X