Harry Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Smith

I am trying to find information about Harry Smith who died?

He married Mabel Shepphard could be (Sheppard) in 1944 nee Bessant and she was born in 1913 and died in August 2005 at the Age of 92 Years Old at Birmingham, Warwickshire and they had one daughter.

Would someone be able to look in the local newspapers or let me know what papers were available in Birmingham, Warwickshire for the year 2005 and the month of August for the Death Notice of Mabel Smith.

Please let me know

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 04-02-11, 09:08. Reason: email address removed

Sorry Charmaine, we do not allow members to post their email addresses on the forum.
    If you click on Subscribe to this thread on the drop down Thread Tools menu, then you should receive an email notification when anyone replies to this thread.
    Elaine

Comment

You can often see old newspapers at local libraries so you might try contacting Birmingham central library to see if they can help.
      What exactly are you wanting to find out?
      You could order Mabel's death certificate which would give some information about her and who registered her death.
      Margaret

Comment

Here's the registration details for Mabel's death
        Mabel Smith
        Birth Date: 18 May 1913
        Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 2005 Age at death (estimated): 92
        Registration district: Birmingham Inferred County: Warwickshire
        Register number: H28B District and Subdistrict: 061/1H Entry number: 60

Comment

Do you have any birth details for harry?
          Lauren =)

Comment

Harry Smith

Dear Margaret,

Thank you for your information and I will act on it and see how long Mabel Smith was a Widow for and try to track down when Harry Smith was born and died.

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            Here's the registration details for Mabel's death
            Mabel Smith
            Birth Date: 18 May 1913
            Death Registration Month/Year: Aug 2005 Age at death (estimated): 92
            Registration district: Birmingham Inferred County: Warwickshire
            Register number: H28B District and Subdistrict: 061/1H Entry number: 60

Comment

Dear Lauren, Thank you for your reply, but I do not know when Harry Smith was born although he was older than Mabel Smith

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by LaurenS1990 View Post
              Do you have any birth details for harry?

Comment

Dear Margaret,

I would like to look at old newspapers, but as I am in New Zealand I can not get to the Birmingham Libraries unless they are on line but I would need there email address or web site

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                You can often see old newspapers at local libraries so you might try contacting Birmingham central library to see if they can help.
                What exactly are you wanting to find out?
                You could order Mabel's death certificate which would give some information about her and who registered her death.
                Margaret

Comment

Dear Elaine,

Sorry about putting my email address on the page

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by Charmaine Simmonds View Post
                  I am trying to find information about Harry Smith who died?

He married Mabel Shepphard could be (Sheppard) in 1944 nee Bessant and she was born in 1913 and died in August 2005 at the Age of 92 Years Old at Birmingham, Warwickshire and they had one daughter.

Would someone be able to look in the local newspapers or let me know what papers were available in Birmingham, Warwickshire for the year 2005 and the month of August for the Death Notice of Mabel Smith.

Please let me know

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Comment

You may not have found the Warwickshire page in our Reference Library. This gives the link for the Birmingham Archives and others which may be useful.

Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I'm still not sure what you are hoping to find in the newspaper, but not everyone puts a death notice in the paper. When my father died in 2000, the funeral director advised us not to put a notice in the paper as thieves use these notices to determine when a property will be empty.

Personally, I would buy their marriage cert, which will give you Harry's age and his father's name. I don't think you can successfully search for a Smith without that information!

OC

Comment

I agree with OC, I definitely think the marriage certificate is vital.
                        The marriage of Harry Smith appears to have been listed under Sheppard and Bessant.
                        The details are - July-Sept quarter of 1944 - Birmingham 6d 957
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Are you sure that you have the right Mabel death Charmaine? I see that she was born Mabel E Bessant and went on to marry a Sheppard as Mabel E and also Harry Smith as Mabel E.
                          The death you are looking at is just Mabel (no E). Although the birth was registered in the Jan-March quarter of 1913 it is possible that she was born at the end of 1912. There is a death for a Mabel E Smith in Birmingham in May 1995. Her birth date is given as 19th September 1912 but perhaps they were a bit late in registering her.

p.s. I can't find a death for her first husband, so although he would now be about 100 I can't post his name. Maybe they were divorced and that's why her marriage to Harry was registered in both her names?
                          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 05-02-11, 12:05.

Comment

If you want to buy certificates for Birmingham, and are not sure which is correct, I suggest you go through Birmingham Register Office: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Sate...endermode=live

As you will see from this link, you apply by post explaining what certificate you are looking for, and they will do a 5 year search (2 years either side of the year you give) - if they are not sure whether they have found the correct one they will contact you to check (they rang me to discuss what I had requested). If they don't find the certificate you want they will refund your fee. They also have a "resident genealogist" who you can contact by email or phone.

scuda
                            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Dear Chrissie,

Yes, Mabel E Smith was divorced in 1942 from Leslie Percy Shepphard and they married in 1932 and she was born in 1913 and her maiden name was Bessart and mother's Maiden name was Ward and district was Aston, Warwickshire, England. All though they may have dropped the E from Mabel's name.

Leslie Percy Shepphard was born on the 26 August 1910 and died in 1980 in New Zealand.

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              Are you sure that you have the right Mabel death Charmaine? I see that she was born Mabel E Bessant and went on to marry a Sheppard as Mabel E and also Harry Smith as Mabel E.
                              The death you are looking at is just Mabel (no E). Although the birth was registered in the Jan-March quarter of 1913 it is possible that she was born at the end of 1912. There is a death for a Mabel E Smith in Birmingham in May 1995. Her birth date is given as 19th September 1912 but perhaps they were a bit late in registering her.

p.s. I can't find a death for her first husband, so although he would now be about 100 I can't post his name. Maybe they were divorced and that's why her marriage to Harry was registered in both her names?

Comment

Dear Caroline,

Yes I will try the link and see what happens

Regards

Charmaine Simmonds

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                You may not have found the Warwickshire page in our Reference Library. This gives the link for the Birmingham Archives and others which may be useful.

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...4-Warwickshire

Comment

As mentioned earlier Charmaine, if you want to trace Harry Smith you need the marriage certificate. This will give you his age, whether he had been married before and, hopefully, his fathers name and occupation. Harry Smith is a VERY hard name to research, as I can personally testify to

If you want to find the death for Mabel E Smith (assuming she didn't marry again), then you need her birth certificate. This will give you her actually date of birth and will hopefully make it much easier to trace her death. This is the reference for her birth if you haven't got it - Jan-March 1913 - Mabel E Bessant - Aston 6d 1111.
                                  I have just realised that the death you mentioned earlier in 2005 can't be the right Mabel Smith. Not unless the informant didn't know her date of birth, as it gives her date of birth as the 18th May 1913 and she was registered in March 1913.

This is the link to ordering certificates from the General Register Office - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
                                  Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-02-11, 11:24.

Comment

Working...
                                  X