Modern Marriage Certificate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Marriage Certificate...

Does anyone know where to find the reference number for Marriages post 2005? Trying to help my cousin find his so he can get a copy of the cert.

Cheers
    Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

If he can remember where he got married, the easiest way is to ring or email the register office.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

erm can he not apply to the office where he did get married? oh, and doesnt he have a copy ?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

snap!
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Cheers - easy response and will pass on straight away!
          Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
            snap!
            :smilee:
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

A marriage certificate, by law, belongs to the WIFE, so he would never have had a copy unless he had asked specifically for one (and paid for it) at the time of the marriage.

OC

Comment

This is another of those myths that surround genealogy.
                If the groom or groom's father (parents) pays for the civil or church fees the certificate legally belongs to the groom or his father (parents).
                If the wife or her father (parents) pay the fees the legally certificate belongs to her or them.
                The certificate is paid for as part of the fee charged.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Ah well Guy, then I was misinformed TWICE!!!

At both my weddings I was handed the certificate by the Registrar who said "This certificate belongs TO YOU and you must keep it carefully".

When I divorced the second time, I was asked to return my marriage certificate to the Court (or maybe to the Solicitor???).

OC

Comment

My husband lost our wedding certificate someting during or after our reception....I can laugh about it now but I was extremely unhappy about it at the time
                    Ness

Comment

I got the cert and held onto it during our photos after the wedding.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You read too much into the words. ;)
                        When my son divorced he was asked to return his marriage certificate.
                        That does not show ownership of a certificate it simply means please supply the court with a certified copy of the entry in the marriage register.
                        Cheers
                        Guy
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I forgot to get a photocopy of my certificate when I handed it over to my solicitor and I really don't want to pay for a copy.

Luckily my ex brother in law took a readable photo of it on the day, with my ring on it, and that will have to do.

I will leave it to whoever takes over the family research, when I am gone, to buy a copy if they really want it

Chris
                          Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Working...
                          X