Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Obituaries from 1871 - any of yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Obituaries from 1871 - any of yours?

Amongst the (wonderful) things my lovely late M-i-L kept was a Bible Christian Magazine from July 1872. It includes "Memoirs and Obituaries" for:
    • Mrs WARDER
    • Mrs GRIFFIN
    • Mrs ASH
    • Mrs PHILLIPS
    • Mr J CALLAWAY
    • Mr George WEEKES
    • Mary Margaret DAVIS
    • Mr John FURSEY
    • Mrs Edmund TURNER, née Elizabeth Upcott Pugh BURSTON
    • Mr N GRILLS
    • John BLUETT
    • Susanna Jane HOYLE
    • Agnes LUXON

There may be more initial detail I could add - but I can't spot it instantly amongst the dense printing.

If you recognise any of these - probably in the context of North Devon - by all means ask, and I'll have a look... but probably not until after the w/e. {I'm running a mixed-music concert this coming Saturday evening, in aid of Cancer Research UK, as a way of celebrating my 60th birthday (last month). There are a lot of people involved in the performance, and I'm busy trying to get the hand-out programmes prepared, the music organised, the equipment organised, the food for the interval set up, the food for supper (family & performers) afterwards... There's a band practice this evening, and I'm currently trying to make sure that they have all the music they need.}

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

For clarification, the Bible Christians were a branch of the Methodist Church. I have a couple of (somewhat later) Presidents of Conference in my tree.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Wishing you all the very best for the Concert Christine - hope it goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
        Wishing you all the very best for the Concert Christine - hope it goes well.
        Thank you, Trina.

I am very hopeful that it will be great fun... it just runs the risk of being a bit long!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X