Ancestry for South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry for South Africa

Just been told about this site - not sure if it is linked to normal Ancestry though, and sub is needed to access it. Might be interesting for those with links to SA.

http://ancestry24.com/

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Doesn't appear to be linked to www.ancestry.com
    Subscription is about £35 per year (if I've done the conversion correctly!)

I'll add the link to our Reference Library.
    Elaine

Comment

can we tell what records are there? i have an uncle who went to south africa, as i understand it, it's difficult doing 20th century research, let alone prior to that!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        can we tell what records are there? i have an uncle who went to south africa, as i understand it, it's difficult doing 20th century research, let alone prior to that!
        There is ane Available Database list on the home page. Clicking on the databases heading gives you a little more information.
        Elaine

Comment

I tried to search for a name yesterday and nothing happened.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

civil registration only began in 1900, and there are no indexes, as the records are not public, but you can order certificates if you know names and dates. apparently they take a long time as well. i think we take it for granted there are central records for the u.k., and to an extent australia and the u.s.

deaths apparently are helpful if you can find estate files, which are on the south african archives website, but it is not an easy site to navigate. people post links for the estate page, but it comes to the home page, and i cant find the database for the estate files anyway!! they have info on parents, spouses, and children, as evidence for some i saw on familysearch, but that wasnt the province im after!!

Comment

Hi Elaine
              Ancestry24 is not linked to Ancestry.com at all. For list of all their databases you can go here http://ancestry24.com/where-to-start...ble-databases/
              They also have lots of free content as well as a tree builder and an image gallery of thousands of graves.
              regards
              Trixie

Comment

Working...
              X