Status on Marriage Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status on Marriage Certificates

Does a Marriage Certificate show "Divorced" as a status or does it revert to Bachelor/Spinster? I have a strong suspicion that my deceased father in law was divorced but without going to Kew ....... All relatives of that time are now deceased so have no one to ask. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Family Tree Forum

I guess it depends on when the cert was issued, I know that later ones.. 1970s have 'Previous Marriage dissolved' on them, what year are we talking please?

Might I add that we do permit deceased family member names on the forum, but if you have living ones that you require help with then could you please say in your post and then someone will offer via PM (private message) to help.

I know it doesnt pertain to the inital post as you have stated that they are dec'd, (just thought I'd add it though, so there is no confusion)
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-02-11, 13:33.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

For me, with family members who were divorced in the early 50's and remarried, on the wedding cert. it states divorced.

Linda

Actually come to think of it that might not be accurate - even though they were married under British rules, they weren't in Britain, but in a colony.

Ooh - just noticed, my 1000th post - do I get a gold star!
      Last edited by ozgirl; 01-02-11, 13:36.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        ... do I get a gold star!

... and welcome to the forum Marzipan Queen.
        Elaine

Comment

Just found the following on the Explore Genealogy website
          From 1858-1952 a divorced groom would be listed as "the divorced husband of..." with the former wife's maiden name given. A divorced wife would have much the same listing.
          ... but I suppose if they didn't disclose their divorce when they got remarried them it might just say, previously/formerly (name)
          Elaine

Comment

But as always, I guess it would depend on whether they actually told the vicar/registrar there had been a divorce??

Anne

Comment

:D:D:D:D

Thanks Elaine!

Linda
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

To one & all many thanks. I sent for the marriage certificate and to my husband's amazement we discovered his father was divorced with the previous spouse named & he actually has two half sisters!

Comment

I know the feeling of finding half siblings.

I can claim a few more than 2 (there is a football team's worth plus substitutes) but then again with a father like mine we could probably end up with enough for our own tournament.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                  X